We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question regarding train from Lucca to Rome Termini

Colorado
Level Contributor
563 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Question regarding train from Lucca to Rome Termini

Just curious.... We will be taking the train (not booked yet) from Lucca to Rome Termini station in late April. I know we have to change trains in Florence. Is it best to stay with Trenitalia trains on the Florence to Rome portion, since that is what is used on the Lucca to Florence segment; or would it be no problem changing to the Italo Trena trains on the Florence to Rome segment? Just starting to look at the schedules, prices, etc. (but I don't think we can book for 2 more months due to our travel dates). The connection times look to be about 14 minutes, depending on what time we leave during the day. I wasn't sure if staying with Trenitalia we may have less distance walk to get to the next train as opposed to changing to Italo Trena. And if for some reason our train from Lucca departs late and we miss the connection, I would assume that if we stay on Trenitalia we could get the next train, even if booking in advance? I appreciate any thoughts and/or experiences. Thank you.

Mentioned in this post
Lucca
Lucca
Province of Lucca, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
8 replies to this topic
Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
4,936 posts
945 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question regarding train from Lucca to Rome Termini

Hi! First of all, why not consider to ride in Rome along the Thyrrenian Sea coast, through an easy change in Pisa (both legs by Trenitalia)?

Pisa-Roma by train is a longer route than Firenze-Roma (as for the time, not for the distance and fares), but Lucca-Pisa implies a by far shorter time than Lucca-Firenze.

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Pisa
Pisa
Province of Pisa, Italy
Hotel Roma
Hotel Roma
813 Reviews
Florence, Italy
Lucca
Lucca
Province of Lucca, Italy
Turin
Level Contributor
8,594 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Question regarding train from Lucca to Rome Termini

Yes, you can get a new ticket for free at the counter, If you buy both tickets on trenitalia.com and you miss a Trenitalia high speed train because the first one is late.

You can book high speed trains up to 120 in advance, but you'll have to wait December 11 to see the complete schedules including the local trains.

Italotreno is less predictable than Trenitalia, they open bookings between 90 and 120 days in advance.

Edited: 23 October 2017, 23:56
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
93,811 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question regarding train from Lucca to Rome Termini

Either book the whole journey with Trenitalia, or else have a very loose connection between the Trenitalia local train and the Italo fast train.

Colorado
Level Contributor
563 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question regarding train from Lucca to Rome Termini

Hello, and thank you for the earlier replies. It is almost time to book our train travel, to get the best pricing. I will book all on Trenitalia since a portion of the trip (Lucca to Florence) will be on the regional, and the balance, on a fast train from Florence to Rome. I now have a few things to confirm to make sure I book correctly in another week or so.

If I put in an 8:00 AM departure from Lucca to Rome (picking an early date in April for now) I see an 8:31 departure which is 3 hr 9 min and $55.00 euro for two people; the fast train being a Frecciarossa 1000; and a 9:31 departure (same travel time) but $75 euro for two people; the fast train being a Frecciarossa (but doesn't say 1000). Is the only difference in cost due to the time of departure, or is there something different about the one that has a '1000' after the train name and is slightly less expensive?

I am guessing that the super economy is fine for us. This is the end of the trip so dates will not change, so no refund for change is not an issue. When I look at the 'choose a seat' is there any difference or preference in either convoy A or convoy B? How about the coach? (looks like there is a choice from coach 5 through 8 and convoy A or B). Also, am I correct in looking at the chart, that the seats with a small table are seats of 4, with the table in between and the seats facing each other? The seats with just two seats, don't have any table?

We will be travelling with a little bit of luggage (well, since it is the end of the trip, we may have a duffle bag full of things to bring home also!!). If our bags won't fit on the racks above our seats (size wise, they will normally be carry on airplane size roller bag luggage, but we will probably have the zippers expanded to larger) are the luggage compartment areas near seats in row 1 or in row 20.. or both?

Final question: Since the first portion of the train travel will be on a regional from Lucca to Florence, I believe that we do not need to validate the tickets since they will be an email printout with the date / time on them. But I also read on the train travel forum that regional tickets are only good on the day they are purchased, even if purchased on line, so that is confusing me. Or maybe I read it wrong. Do we just get on the appropriate train in Lucca with our email ticket, and when they come by to look at tickets, just show them the printout? Is the Lucca station fairly small, and we don't need to arrive to much in advance of departure?

Then when we get to Florence, we find our train departure area, and get on the convoy and coach stated on the ticket... is it clearly market on the train itself? As you can tell, we are somewhat newbies to train travel, but are really looking forward to the experience!

Again, thanks for all of your assistance.

Mentioned in this post
Lucca
Lucca
Province of Lucca, Italy
Florence
Florence
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
93,811 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Question regarding train from Lucca to Rome Termini

The price difference between the 08.31 and 09.31 departures is probably because the 09.31 is a bit more popular and the cheapest tickets have already sold out on the Freccia.

Super Economy is a fare level, not a seat class. You get the same seat whether you pay Super Economy, Economy or Base fare.

Regionale tickets bought online do not need to be validated and can use used on the booked train or a similar train in the following 4 hours.

Turin
Level Contributor
8,594 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Question regarding train from Lucca to Rome Termini

https:/…Frecciarossa_1000

A regionale ticket can be used only on the day of travel you pick when you buy it. The day of travel CAN be the same day of purchase, but it isn't mandatory.

E-tickets don't need to be printed anymore.

PS thanks to Google Maps' street view option, you can virtually walk inside Florence station and get a little used to it. You must look for a specific track, binario or bin. in Italian, not for an area. Think at railway tracks as if they were airport gates.

Edited: 12 December 2017, 23:00
Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
93,811 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Question regarding train from Lucca to Rome Termini

>>A regionale ticket can be used only on the day of travel you pick when you buy it.<<

That applies to Regionale tickets bought in Italy. For those bought online, see reply #5.

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,212 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Question regarding train from Lucca to Rome Termini

When you arrive in Florence, look for the lighted “departures” boards to tell you which track (binario) your train will depart from. They normally don’t post the binario number until about 10 minutes before the train departs. The trains only stay at the platform about 5 minutes, so you need to watch the departure board like a hawk when it’s close to the time.

Once you know the track, follow the crowd down the long platform. In Florence, they are now checking to make sure you have a ticket to travel before letting you on the platform, so have that ready. Your online printout is fine.

As you walk down the platform, you will see lighted signs with numbers spaced even distances apart along the platform. These refer to the train car numbers. Stand near the number that corresponds to the car number on your ticket. The numbers are clearly marked near the doors on the train, too. When the train arrives, let people exit first, then climb on.

The seat numbers are clearly marked and yes, the four around a table face each other. I like getting those seats myself. There will be room to stow small to medium size luggage pieces near or above your seat, but the really large luggage will have to go in the luggage racks near the exit doors. Hint: keep your luggage to a minimum. There will be no one available to help you carry it.

Another tip (this will sound silly to Europeans, but Americans don’t necessarily know this): before your train arrives at your destination, get up, gather all your luggage and wait by the exit door. You only have a few minutes to get off the train when it stops. You will see other people do this; just follow their lead.

Have a fun trip!

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Reply to: Question regarding train from Lucca to Rome Termini
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted