We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

getting from milan to florence

atlanta
14 posts
Save Topic
getting from milan to florence

hi travel pros!

i have never visited italy and am not preparing for my first trip. so please pardon my ignorance!

i am flying into milan and want to take the most convenient route into florence where we're staying for two weeks. the airport is closed during april, so i am thinking about a train. however, it appears that once we land in milan, the closest train station is almost an hour away. is this true? and then we have to change trains to get into florence?

is there anyone out there who knows a smarter solution?

thanks!

Level Contributor
21,533 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: getting from milan to florence

Take a bus from the airport to the Central Train Station in Milan (appr. half an hour in normal traffic) and from there it's two hours and a half by Eurostar.

Wichita, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,082 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: getting from milan to florence

Milan Malpensa airport is quite a ways from Milano, so you will need to take a bus from the airport to the Centrale train station. There are two bus companies; one has buses departing at :35 and :55 [5.50 €] and the other every 20 minutes [5 €], and the journey time is 50 minutes. Tickets can be bought on the bus.

For train schedules and fares [click on the Shopping cart] from Milano to Firenze [Florence] use the Trenitalia website. http://www.trenitalia.com/en/index.html

boston
Level Contributor
59 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: getting from milan to florence

I will be going the same route when first arrive, and if anyone knows of a car service that will take us from Milan to Florence, with a stop in Pisa for lunch and sightseeing please let me know....thanks,Michael

lenanon, nj
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: getting from milan to florence

I too am flying into Milan and want to take the train to Florance. Should I buy the ticket ahead of time? My flight gets in at 13:30 and there is a train at 16:00. Does that give me enough time? If my flight is delayed and I miss the 16:00 is my ticket good for the next train?

Level Contributor
21,533 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: getting from milan to florence

No real need to buy the ticket in advance in the middle of the day. It should be enough time but the reservation is good only for that specific train and you would get only some of your money back should you need to change trains.

Level Contributor
737 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: getting from milan to florence

It takes 1 hour by bus to get from malpensa airport to Train station. Don't use the express train since you reach the wrong train station in milano.

To the member who booked train at 16:00 I suggest to change the reservation for the next departure at 17:00. In this way you are shure not to loose your money and if you arrive earlier you can take the train leaving at 16 changing the reservation at ticket counter.

Forget about a private driver from Milano to Florence unless you are prepared to spend 1000 euro!

Sheffield
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: getting from milan to florence

Hi Could you help please - same thing!

I need to be in Florence by 8 am on June 11, but my plane arrives in Malpensa around 8 pm on 10th June. Are there any trains from Milan central station at this time? If no, is there waiting room or overnight stay rooms in the station so that I could wait for the first train in the morning to Florence?

Thanks,

Naira

Level Contributor
21,533 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: getting from milan to florence

Nope - according to trenitalia, the last train is at eightish. Really not recommended to spend the night in the train station. Find a good cheap hotel and stay there.

Wichita, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,082 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: getting from milan to florence

“Naira”

The last Eurostar train to Firenze [Florence] departs Milano Centrale at 20:00 [8 PM] and the next Eurostar train is at 05:30. There are other possible trains, with connections, but you would be up all night and a 4-hour layover in Bologna at 1:30 in the morning.

Atlanta, Georgia...
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: getting from milan to florence

To Naira and Anon,

Good luck finding ANY hotel room in Milan let alone a 'cheap' one! There is a furniture expo from April 4 through Sept 4 and there are no rooms to be found within 50 miles of Milan! If you find one, it will be EXPENSIVE! We are traveling by train from Venice to Milano Centrale and then having to switch stations until we eventually end up in Azzate so we can fly out of Malpensa the next morning! The hotel is a small family owned place and will cost us about 400 euro.