We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rassegna del Chianti Classico Wine Festival in Greve

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vermont
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Rassegna del Chianti Classico Wine Festival in Greve

I'm going to be in Florence the second weekend in Sept and would like to attend the wine festival in Greve.

Does anyone know of or can recommend a guide or day tour?

Many thanks.

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Rassegna del Chianti Classico Wine Festival in Greve

Do it independently for less, by bus:

http://www.acvbus.it/orari/365.pdf

Be aware that bus service is less frequent on Sunday than on Saturday.

London
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rassegna del Chianti Classico Wine Festival in Greve

Tour options:

Do you have a car?

What days are you staying?

I can give you precise details on the above information, otherwise here is a top 10 list of places to visit in Chianti Classico.

1. Le Cantine underground wine cellar in Greve (a must).

2. "Walk" up to Montefioralle via the Museo di San Francesco. Take picnic lunch (food from COOP in Greve or shops on the main piazza of Greve).

3. "Walk" from Montefioralle to Panzano on the backroads through the vineyards. Takes about 3 hours but worth it for the scenery. Some hill climbing - solid shoes required.

4. Dine at Ristoro di Lamole on Saturday or Sunday evening on terrace.

5. Visit Castello Vignamaggio - the birthplace of Mona Lisa - you can see the window where Leonardo Da Vinci painted her from.

6. Explore the Conca d'Oro in Panzano where some of the worlds best vineyards are situated.

7.If you are ambitious then drive to Castello di Volpaia, take lunch at La Bottega and then drive on the backroad to Lamole!

8. Best Restaurants: il Gallo Nero, fuori piazza and Logge on the main piazza.

9. Excellent vineyards but you will need permission first by email if it is possible - probably you are a bit late - when I take large groups to Chianti Classico I always book at least 6 months in advance: Castello Vicchiomaggio (Grand location with infinity pool), Podere Campriano situated in Greve (organic family run) and Antinori Tignanello and Solaia wine cellars in San Casciano val de pesa.

10. Just simply enjoy the festival, or if you manage to tire of wine then walk to the main road and take a cool beer from the Bar via Veneto.

Hope you have a great time!

Castellina in...
Level Contributor
3,231 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rassegna del Chianti Classico Wine Festival in Greve

"5. Visit Castello Vignamaggio - the birthplace of Mona Lisa - you can see the window where Leonardo Da Vinci painted her from."

Nice place to visit and a romantic story but Mona Lisa was born on Via Maggio in Florence. Vignamaggio was bought by the Gherardi family in 1421, but Mona Lisa's family name was Gherardini not Gherardi. The Gherardini sold the property to the Gherardi 57 years before she was born. I sometimes wonder if there was a confusion at some stage long ago between Via Maggio and Vignamaggio.

Greater London...
Level Contributor
3,825 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rassegna del Chianti Classico Wine Festival in Greve

I might well be mistaken, but I have always thought that the correct spelling was Monna Lisa - Monna having a double "n" because it's a shortened form of "Madonna".

The reason could be that the spelling of words would have changed considerably over the centuries-- but does anyone ever spell it with a double "n"? I know the Monna Lisa Hotel spells it this way.

Sorry to be such a bore.

Castellina in...
Level Contributor
3,231 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rassegna del Chianti Classico Wine Festival in Greve

The Louvre spell it "Mona" in the English version of their web site.

From Wikipedia: "In Italian, 'ma donna' means my lady. This became madonna, and its contraction mona. Mona is thus a polite form of address, similar to Ma’am, Madam, or 'my lady' in English. In modern Italian, the short form of madonna is usually spelled Monna, so the title is sometimes Monna Lisa, rarely in English and more commonly in Romance languages such as French and Italian."

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Rassegna del Chianti Classico Wine Festival in Greve

The wine festival in Greve looks like it will be a lot of fun. Am I right in thinking it is the biggest wine festival in Chianti, or Tuscany as a whole?

We took a wine tour this summer with the Slow day in Tuscany www.slow-days.com which included Greve. I assume they would incorporate the festival into their tour.

Making your own way to the festival could be just as nice., but having a guide and driver plus visiting the vineyards at this time of year might push me more towards doing a tour. Either way, you have certainly picked the right time to go.

Greater London...
Level Contributor
3,825 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rassegna del Chianti Classico Wine Festival in Greve

Thank you, tuscan!

London
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rassegna del Chianti Classico Wine Festival in Greve

Dear Tuscan,

If you click on this link which is the main website of Vignamaggio then you will see that they say she was born in Vignamaggo in 1479 (3rd Paragraph).

vignamaggio.it/english/vignamaggio-history.h…

We await your comments.

London
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rassegna del Chianti Classico Wine Festival in Greve

Dear Tuscan,

Apologies for sending you two messages, but here is another link on their website which claims she was born at Vignamaggio which is of course in addition to what they told our large group of UK Wine tourists last year when we were at Vignamaggio.

vignamaggio.it/english/monna-lisa-leonardo-d…

Castellina in...
Level Contributor
3,231 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rassegna del Chianti Classico Wine Festival in Greve

Yes, sure - Vignamaggio has always claimed Mona Lisa was born there and a great many guide books repeat that claim. Unfortunately they have their facts wrong. If Lisa Gherardini is Mona Lisa, as almost every expert agrees, then she was born in Florence. Leonardo began painting the Mona Lisa in 1503 or 1504 in Florence and very likely didn't finish the picture until towards the end of his life in France.