We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SITA bus to Siena- which route?

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bombay
Level Contributor
107 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
SITA bus to Siena- which route?

Hi,

We will be in Florence from 14 to 19 May. One of these days, we have a plan to go to Siena. I read that S222 route is more scenic than the main highway.

Are there any public transport buses that take this slower route? How can I know which route any given bus will be taking?

Thanks.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
28,309 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SITA bus to Siena- which route?

Siena Sitabus sitabus.it/sita-toscana/firenze-siena2010.pdf

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: SITA bus to Siena- which route?

Neither of the direct Florence-Siena bus lines uses SS222. If the SS222 is what you want, I think you have to use SITA to Radda in Chianti, then TRAIN Spa from Radda to Siena.

http://www.acvbus.it/orari/365.pdf

www.trainspa.it/train04/extraurbano.pdf

Bombay
Level Contributor
107 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: SITA bus to Siena- which route?

Thanks for the replies.

Zerlina, I checked the links you posted. I don't quite see many buses stopping at Radda except for one in early morning and one in afternoon.

Anyway, I thought if there was a direct bus which was running on the longer route, we could take it. I would better not complicate the journey, rather save energy for Siena. :)

Nuri, I have saved the timetable link, thanks.

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: SITA bus to Siena- which route?

Regional buses anywhere ib Italy serve the needs of the locals, schoolchildren and workers, and not of tourists...

Take the route via Colle Val d'Elsa from the Firenze-Siena link.

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: SITA bus to Siena- which route?

P.S. The Florence-Siena buses are the exception that proves the rule: They serve primarily tourists, and the route that stops in Poggibonsi serves tourists who want to go to San Gimignano.

Castellina in...
Level Contributor
3,230 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: SITA bus to Siena- which route?

It's just possible to do this - take the SITA bus from Florence to Castellina in Chianti and change there for the TRA-IN bus www.trainspa.it/train04/extraurbano.pdf 125 /R LUCARELLI-RADDA-CASTELLINA IN CHIANTI-SIENA

I didn't check how long this would take but for sure it would be to see mostly the SR222 and not much of Siena. You would probably just have time to catch the express SITA bus back to Florence.

Edited: 03 May 2011, 12:44
7. Re: SITA bus to Siena- which route?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2012, 20:16