We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cinque Terre- guided tour vs independent from Florence?

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
109 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Cinque Terre- guided tour vs independent from Florence?

My sister and I are traveling to Florence end of May/beginning of June. We have already booked a "tour of Tuscany" through Walkabout Tours and saw where they offered day trip tours to Cinque Terre. Which do you think allows you to spend more time in each of the towns? We are ok with taking a very early train and getting back to Florence late. Is the train ride a time-sucker vs going by private car or tour bus? Thanks!

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,703 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cinque Terre- guided tour vs independent from Florence?

The train and the bus would take about the same amount of time. I myself would much rather do the trip on my own rather than with a tour group.

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
2,477 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cinque Terre- guided tour vs independent from Florence?

Just to the right of your post is the Top Questions column and you'll find some links to info about the Cinque Terre. One of them is this one here which outlines exactly how to get there by train: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187895-c140988/Flore…

The train ride can take about 3 hours. It is a bit faster driving, but aside from that one thing you should know about the Cinque Terre right now is that most of the regular walking trails are closed - so if you planned on taking the beautiful walk from village to village, part of it was wiped out by landslides over the winter, and it may be a good idea to go with someone who knows the way safely! Otherwise you can also just visit each town by train but you really miss out on (what I think anyway) is the most beautiful part of the area! Good luck!

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
3 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cinque Terre- guided tour vs independent from Florence?

I took the train from Florence to Cinque Terre, made a stop at Pisa and enjoyed a few hours there. The trip was smooth and I'm happy I didn't drive, I heard some stories from other travelers saying that the drive was awful (winding narrow roads). I was going to say that one day at Cinque Terre is not enough, but I definitely agree with the previous post, if you can't do the walk from village to village, the most beautiful part of the visit is gone, then I guess 1 day will do. --In conclusion, do it on your own.

Sandton, South...
Level Contributor
121 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cinque Terre- guided tour vs independent from Florence?

Oh dear. We intended doing the walk in June. Do you know which part is open?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,132 posts
1,404 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cinque Terre- guided tour vs independent from Florence?

I also agree do a self tour its very easy - !! The local train is terrific for getting around the villages.

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
2,477 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cinque Terre- guided tour vs independent from Florence?

Only the Via dell'Amore (the graffiti-filled, paved walkway from Riomaggiore to manarola) is open, it's a 15 minute walk and is quite different from the rest of the walk where you hike through vineyards and olive groves etc.

nicosia
Level Contributor
17 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cinque Terre- guided tour vs independent from Florence?

dear hapagirl

I'm going at Cinque Terre on July with 2 childrer aged 7 and 10. We would like to walk one or two baths from one village to another. Can you tell me which of them are most safe and easy walking for us?

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
6,023 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cinque Terre- guided tour vs independent from Florence?

Biggest travel mistake we ever did was thinking Cinque Terre could be done as a daytrip. Try and spend at least one night.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
133 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cinque Terre- guided tour vs independent from Florence?

We also were planning in taking Walkabout's Cinque Terre trek in June because we thought that having a guide to get us there safely was the best way. However, now reading hapagirl's comment about most of the paths being closed, I'm thinking that doing it ourselves via train would be the best value. I don't want to pay $200 for as much as I would have been able to do on my own!

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
2,477 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cinque Terre- guided tour vs independent from Florence?

Hi freewilly - the safest route to take with children is the Via dell'Amore (good news! They're finally cleaning up the graffiti!), which is pathed (rather than stony and uneven) and has railings and therefore is an easy walk for kids. You can buy an entrance ticket to the walk at the beginning of the path in Riomaggiore.

JillOnTheMove - I think you'll get the most out of visiting the area by doing the walks that you can. The plus side of going with a guide is that they can show you where you can do the walks, where going by yourself can be a bit tricky if you don't know the way. Maybe ask around and see where they take you, though it sounds like from recent TA reviews that they are still doing the trek: tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g187895-d1…