We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maggiore Car Rental

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
1 post
Save Topic
Maggiore Car Rental

We rented a car from Maggiore in Bologna, Italy last fall (through National Car Rental - i'm an executive member with them). I will never rent from this company again.

Rented from Bologna and dropped it off in Rome.

I filled up the car before returning by the return spot was on the 7th floor of a building. Instructions were to drop off the car on the 7th floor and bring the keys down to the first floor, so i did. They gave me my receipt and left. When the charge hit my credit card, they charged me for a full tank of gas, including refueling fee and Value added tax (came out to roughtly $175 more) for the rental. In additional to this over charge, they charged me $32 extra for who konws what. I disputed with my credit card co., they dismisssed it because Maggiore was not able to provide receipt or proof for that additional $32 charge. Seven months later, i received a letter from a collection firm in Italy stating that i owe that $32 and must pay within 15 days or they will pursue legally and will incur additional legal fees. What a scam. Beware of Maggiore...if you can help it, don't rent from them...

Rented the car Oct. 2009, received notice from collections July 2010.

30 replies to this topic
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maggiore Car Rental

Happy to know we are not the only one disgusted with maggiore,,,,

NEVER RENT FROM THEM!!!! They are crooks!!!!! We rented from Venice and my husband has been charged over 380€ for apparently the GPS that was not in the car although it was in the glove compartment... So someone obviously from the company is now driving with out GPS..... And same as you , we were charged over 120€ for gas and god knows what,,,,

Again whatever you do, don't rent with Maggiore,,,,,,

San Diego...
Level Contributor
3,128 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maggiore Car Rental

I rented from them for three weeks last June/July 2009. I was brokered to them from Economy Car Rentals and found them to very efficient and to the penny.

Connecticut, USA
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Maggiore Car Rental

MAGGIORE e' la PEGGIORE (Maggiore Car Rental is the worst!)

NEVER RENT FROM MAGGIORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I rented a car from them in Rome and returned the car in Rome. We had to wait in line for 1 and a 1/2 hours. After we picked up the car I confirmed with the Maggiore associate that we would be able to return the car a hour and a half later due to the late pick-up. I do speak Italian and did confirm this in Italian (the whole conversation was in Italian).

When I questioned why the receipt didn't show the revised drop-off time (1 and a 1/2 hours later) the attendant told me that they couldn't make adjustments to the system but that my pick-up time confirmed that I did in fact pick up the car late and the time would be adjusted (with a 15 min. grace period), so technically we would have 1 hour and 45 min. extra.. The attendant even wrote the new time on my receipt so that I would have it as a reminder.

I returned the car exactly one hour later than the initial reservation as was told that I had to pay for another day seeing that I was dropping the car off one hour late. I explained that I picked up the car an hour late and was told that my time had been extended by an hour. I proved with my receipts that I did indeed pick up the car an hour late (due to their lack of staffing) and was given a receipt at the drop-off location. Nonetheless; Maggiore refuses to issue me a refund even after numerous calls to the company.

STAY AWAY FROM MAGGIORE...it's worth it to pay a few bucks more with another rental company. Maggiore will figure out a way to get you to pay more with extra fees or bogus charges!

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
17 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maggiore Car Rental

Anyone have any suggestions on who to rent from?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
82,325 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Maggiore Car Rental

AutoEurope is an agency that arranges cheap rentals with the major reputable companies. The UK site is sometimes cheaper than the US one, so check out both www.autoeurope.com and www.auto-europe.co.uk

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
7 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Maggiore Car Rental

someone knows where should I return a car in malpensa airport? on a map or address? because I'll take a car in another place and don't know where to return without applying to the desk in the airport. Thanks

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
7 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Maggiore Car Rental

In spite of bad reviews they was not so bad. At least they didn't cheat me. They even received me 9$ for unused petrol. Because I returned a car with more petrol than I had to. The only negative is that they blocked 400$ as deposit and the sum was unblocked only 1 week later. Because of bad reviews I thought they would never return me my money or return them less than they have to. And office worker at centrale was not friendly so I could not know many things from him. And it was not very easy to find rent a car at malpensa airport for the first time because they moved. But now it's ok and I'm happy to had deal with this company without any problems just for 100 euro for 2 days incl insurance

8. Re: Maggiore Car Rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 06 December 2011, 15:05

Cetona
Level Contributor
296 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Maggiore Car Rental

Well, I can't help people about charge that don't have explanations, but I can help you about the full thanks of gas.

You have to be carefull, especially when you rent in the main airport, when you sign the contract, if they ask to you to sign the prepaid Full tank of gas.

First, they have to ask you if you want it or not, second, when you return back the car....if you find a really onest person, probably is going to remove the FTG charge before to close the contract, but if don't find it, they charge to you the gas and that's all. And you can't do nothing because they have your signature on the rental paper.

So just check in advantace what you are signing.

Bedfordshire...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
8,983 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Maggiore Car Rental

I wonder the administrators might forward these comments to Maggiore. It would be interesting to hear their reactions.

Reply to: Maggiore Car Rental
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted