We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Be Careful of National Maggiore Car Rental

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Draper
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Be Careful of National Maggiore Car Rental

Wow, be careful renting a car in Italy. We arrived in Naples to return our car only to find the rental agency closed and no place to park the car. The door has a nice little note that said any cars left on the street would be ticketed and charged to our rental.

After spending 6 hours trying to get a hold of National Car Rental, we finallly reached someone and they said it was our responsibility to return the car to Rome Airport (3-1/2 hours away!).

We had a tour we had to catch and had no other option than to cancel the remainder of our trip and return the car to Rome Airport.

When we arrived in Rome, they charged us a weekend car rental fee of $960 euros as a vehicle transit fee of $268 euro to return the car to Naples. The last charge was a $320 euro which covered the insurance of the person who had rented the car for the weekend (if the office was closed, how could someone rent it?!!) , Our original rental was only $267 euro for 24 hours. After two brutal hours of the rudest people I have ever dealt with, we left stating that we would just dispute with our credit card company. They treatened to have us arrested and said that they would put a hold on our passport until the fee is paid in cash or wire transfer. (never threaten to cancel a credit card payment). Once the police arrived it was determined that we had to comply with their request but settled by paying all of the cash we had between ourselves which was about $560 euro. Being in a foreign country and not knowing their laws and how far we could go with our position was very frustrating.

Everyone at National must have been ready for our phone call when we arrived home in the US because they were all ready yelling on the phone before we had a chance to tell our story. And of course, refused to do anything.

This is not something I would expect in Italy. Avoid National at all cost!

Castellina in...
Level Contributor
3,248 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Be Careful of National Maggiore Car Rental

This was a very, very unfortunate experience - to put it mildly. It's a bit late now, but you should surely have left the car in Naples and paid or disputed the tickets later. And this: "said that they would put a hold on our passport until the fee is paid in cash or wire transfer." No car company can put a hold on your passport (whatever that means exactly) - they take your card details as security and that's it. And it's not up to the police to tell you whether you have to pay or not - that's a matter for the card company and finally the courts. From my experience, the normal police response in Italy would be that this is not their business but is rather a legalistic dispute between private persons. Also a bit late, but you should not have handed over cash - pay by card and dispute it later where you have the upper hand. The sums of money you're talking about seem very high to me - what kind of car was it?

Chicago
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Be Careful of National Maggiore Car Rental

I also had a horrible experience with Maggiore. DO NOT RENT FROM THEM. They double-charged me for my rental car in Sicily. I've emailed them twice and have received no response. The best part was after the first email I called their customer service, which had convenient hours of 9-1pm (only 4 hours!) or 2-6am Chicago time, the customer service agent barely spoke English and her advice to me was to EMAIL THEM!

I will never use Maggiore or National in the future.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
991 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Be Careful of National Maggiore Car Rental

Could I ask whether you hired this car via an agent in your country or directly via Maggiore when you arrived? From my understanding if it was an agency and not the actual car company itself then dealing with the agent as opposed to the actual company should have been the way to go in a dispute like this.

I have used an agency in australia and this is the company they have made my rental with.

Thanks in advance for your reply!

Chicago
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Be Careful of National Maggiore Car Rental

I rented the car through Maggiore's website a couple days before arriving.

dundee
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Be Careful of National Maggiore Car Rental

We have had an overcharge of £34.66 three months after the car went off hire. They say it is to pass details on to the police for a fine. The told my brother-n-law it was a fuel surcharge when it was exactly the same amount on his credit card. Is this some scam to wack a sum on to peoples credit card long after the event? I am going to pursue it with credit card company but has anyone else been surcharged after the hire....?

Castellina in...
Level Contributor
3,248 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Be Careful of National Maggiore Car Rental

There are several threads on this forum that describe the charge that car rental companies are allowed to make to pass on your details to the traffic authorities - the amount sounds about right. You can expect to receive a fine citation within the next year.

Cetona
Level Contributor
296 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Be Careful of National Maggiore Car Rental

When you rent a car, whenever you do it, you sign a contract.

If you read all the terms you can see that you give them the OK to charge on your credit card the fines you eventually take during your rental.

In lots of years I understood that, rental agencies take different ways to do it.

Some agency just gives your details to the police.

Some of them just charge it on your credit card with some administration fee...

Ask to the rental company more information about the charge, and ask them to fax you a receipt in case is a fine or a fuel charge.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
3,098 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Be Careful of National Maggiore Car Rental

I have nothing but good things to say about National Maggiore and the car I booked through Economy Rental. I put a long scratch in the side of the car and followed tried to follow the rental agreement and get a police report. I as worried because to get may deductible payed by Economy, Economy wanted a police which the Positano police even refused to come out to because it was a one car accident, no injuries and no third parties damage.I notified Economy and it was noted on my file.

When I returned the auto to Maggiore and pointed out the damage, I was treated like a king for telling them at that time and was charged an extra E500 for the damage on top of my agreed rental charge.

I then forwarded my final bill from Maggiore, a letter of explanation on the accident and my invoice from my credit card showing the final bill including the E500 extra for the damage charges. After about three months I received a E500 credit back from Economy for the accident. Not only was everything done as agreed by both companies,, but when I got the E500 credit, because the dollar had declined about 15%, I actually got about a $75 bonus on the exchange.

B.C.
Level Contributor
1 post
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Be Careful of National Maggiore Car Rental

4 Jan 2010 MAGGIORE/NATIONAL ROMA 55.61

36.00 EUR @ 1.5447

I just received this on my VISA from a trip I took in early October of '09! After reading warnings of what goes on in Italy (Florence in this case) re: add-on charges, I was meticulous in my driving habits & how I drove out & back to the National Car Rental so as to avoid any fines for being in the wrong area or speeding or any vehicular infractions. I returned the car full of gas, no damage and to my knowledge, no tickets.

My next step is to talk to my travel agent that booked the vehicle and see what can be done. Unbelievable that this has happened! The VISA agent told me I had to determine what it was that I was being charged for before they could enter the DISPUTE! Hmm...does this mean a company like National Car Rental can just charge whatever they like w/o any valid documentation/invoice on whatever they so desire.

The trip was wonderful but this does leave a bad taste!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
3,098 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Be Careful of National Maggiore Car Rental

I got my final bill from Maggiore Car Rental mailed to me in the U.S. about five days after returning from my trip. Although the bill was in Italian, it was itemized and with a little effort I was able to understand all the charges and they were as agreed.