We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which area of Tuscany is best for renting a villa.

SanClemente, CA
Level Contributor
73 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Which area of Tuscany is best for renting a villa.

My husband and I plan on taking our son, daughter in law and their 4 children to Tuscany and renting a villa. The children are 15, 13, 9 & 3. There are so many areas of Tuscany, I am getting confused. What is the best area to rent a villa in. Any advice would be appreciated.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
2,332 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Which area of Tuscany is best for renting a villa.

The Val d'Orcia is lovely and is the picture of what everybody thinks of when they hear "Tuscany". The villages in that area would be Pienza, Montalcino, Montepulciano, San Quirico, etc...

From here you can easily make day trips to other areas within Tuscany such as Siena, San Gimignano, Volterra, Cortona, Arezzo, the Chianti area, etc. You should have a rental car in this area. However, if you take a day trip into Florence, park at your nearest train station and take the train in. You do not want to drive into Florence with the ZTLs.

Here is a link for you:

http://www.valdorcia.com/

Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,141 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which area of Tuscany is best for renting a villa.

I would opt for the Val d'Orcia as mentioned above. Incredible scenery, many villas to choose from, great wineries, and many wonderful hill towns.

Montepulciano, Italy
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which area of Tuscany is best for renting a villa.

Fully concur with the above but the southern Chianti is rather nice too, especially the area between Siena and Castelnuovo. If you're looking to primarily chill out by a pool it's not such a concern but bear in mind when booking that some villas are quite isolated. This is an important consideration if you're looking to tour around for your day out could start and end with a long bumpy drive down a dirt track. Do your homework, ask lots of questions of the owner / agency.

Johannesburg...
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Which area of Tuscany is best for renting a villa.

I am looking to rent villa in Tuscany. Need to be close to see and towns for restaurants etc. Not too isolated. Neeed quite peace, but some activites at night or day. Place with beach and olive groves. Only two poeple

emile@prideofzambezi.com

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,124 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which area of Tuscany is best for renting a villa.

Have a look at a map. The area of Tuscany being discussed (Chianti and Val d'Orcia) is not on the coast. On the coast are places like Viareggio, which are over-developed beach resorts that, in my opinion, lack charm.

Villas generally are fairly remote. Most settlements in the Chianti and Val d'Orcia areas are on top of steep hills, so there is no easy walk into town.

It is a very bad idea to put your e-mail address onto a public forum such as Trip Adviser: it is an invitation to every spammer on the planet. I suggest you delete your post: click on "Report inappropriate content", then select "Remove my post".

London
Level Contributor
265 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which area of Tuscany is best for renting a villa.

So many places in Tuscany....yes there are

Start by writing a list of what you want to do and see. But remember you will not see all of Tuscany in a week

Also calculate a time if year and budget. Probably too late for July and August bookings since they go up to 9-12 months in advance

Try and get as much feedback on here.but remember you'll probably be even more confused than before with people giving various different locations based on experience. And since you can't have a bad time anywhere in Tuscany your going to get alot of the above.

My personal favourite is the Lucca area. Due to it having a mixed landscape from mountains to beaches with value for money thrown in. Normally 30% more competitive rates then southern Tuscany. Google Val Di Lima/Lima Valley villas as an idea. And search on the tripadvisor or homeaway network.

Hope that helps.

John

7. Re: Which area of Tuscany is best for renting a villa.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 June 2013, 10:18