We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental car agencies in Tuscany?

Florida Keys
Level Contributor
41 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Rental car agencies in Tuscany?

Do you know of any car rental agencies OUTSIDE Florence, towards Chianto Road? We're training Rome-Florence, then doing car tour of the Chianti region. I'm hestant of renting in Florence just because of horror tales of driving in the city.

Alternative question is - Do you know where the rental companies are in Florence. Would it be an easy out of the city? Or is it as nerve wracking as I hear?

Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,252 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental car agencies in Tuscany?

We rent from Hertz or AutoEurope and usually pick up our car from the office on Via Maso Finiguerra. It's about 400 yards south of the SMN train station.

If you follow their directions and map it's easy to get out of Florence and on to A1 without a hassle. Just drive slowly and look for the signs and follow the directions.

Once on A1 head for SR 222, The Chianti Road; the drive south is beautiful and there's a post card picture every 200 yards.

Be sure to get an International Driver's Permit from AAA and also take your regular driver's license.

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,599 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental car agencies in Tuscany?

I think picking up at Florence airport is easiest. No need to drive in the centre.

Eugene, OR
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental car agencies in Tuscany?

When I rented a car in Siena from Hertz, no one wanted to see my International Drivers License. I felt my money and time were a waste. Anyone know why they didn't want?? I am just curious.....thanks

Maine, USA
Level Contributor
1,566 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rental car agencies in Tuscany?

One thing you can do is go to autoeurope.com and put in your dates for downtown Florence. You will be given a list of locations and using google.maps you can see which is closer to your hotel. But I found actually booking with the agency cheaper than booking through autoeurope. In my case the agency was Avis, so YMMV.

And pamraynor, I was not asked for my IDP either, but I think if you had been stopped by a police officer, you sure would have thought you wasted your money.

Eugene, OR
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rental car agencies in Tuscany?

Okay, so for police. Didn't know...thanks Pam

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
51,996 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rental car agencies in Tuscany?

You are required legally to have an IDP. Some agencies insist on seeing it before giving you the rental while others do not. I wouldn't risk not having it as your travel plans would be thrown a big curve should the agency decline your rental.

I suggest you just rent from Florence city center. It's not difficult to avoid the ZTL at all getting out of the city.

Eugene, OR
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rental car agencies in Tuscany?

Thank you. We are heading to Rome first and Orvieto by train. The hertz is right by the train station and we can spend a night checking out this lovely town. I missed it the last time I was there.Thank you for the suggestion. Appreciate it....

8. Re: Rental car agencies in Tuscany?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 22:16