We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drop Avis rental car in Chiusi/Orvieto or FCO?

NY, NY
Level Contributor
110 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Drop Avis rental car in Chiusi/Orvieto or FCO?

On arrival, we are picking up our Avis rental car at FCO and driving straight to our hotel in Chianti. When we leave Tuscany, we will be leaving from Pienza and want the least amount of hassle to get to our hotel in Rome in the Via Veneto area. Money is not a concern, time and ease are primary considerations. We have already decided we do not want to drive into Rome at all. It looks like Chiusi makes the most sense but I am utterly confused as to the location of the Avis office, as it lists Chisui but when I map it, the Citta del Pieve looks like it is 25 miles away? Am I looking at the right office? If not Chiusi, does it really make sense to bother with returning to Orvieto (we absolutely do not want to do any touring en route, we just want to get to our hotel efficiently) or should we just continue driving to FCO? From FCO will we actually have to take the shuttle from the rental car return to the main terminal in order to take a taxi to the city? All locations will be open when we are returning (Thursday mid-morning) so luckily that is not a concern. Thanks to anyone who can advise!

Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,150 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drop Avis rental car in Chiusi/Orvieto or FCO?

Looking at the Avis site I could not find Chiusi listed. The Orvieto Avis office looks like it's very close to the train station though.

NY, NY
Level Contributor
110 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drop Avis rental car in Chiusi/Orvieto or FCO?

On avis when you select citta del pieve it lists it as "chiusi". Do you think it would be easy to get to the Orvieto location or is it a confusing city? My only experience driving was into Florence once and I do not want to repeat that experience.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,180 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drop Avis rental car in Chiusi/Orvieto or FCO?

The way with the least hassle is to drive to FCO and return the car then take a taxi directly to your hotel €40 set fare.

I have never understood the desire to return to another city. From "wherever" you need to return the car, get to the station, wait for a train, get off in Rome and THEN get a taxi to your destination.

At FCO follow the signs to the covered car parks. When you get there follow the signs to find Avis. Return the car and you are immediately close to the airport and convenient lifts to get you to the taxis. Just no hassle. Plus you know they will be open early till late every day.

Edited: 28 March 2011, 01:39
Montepulciano, Italy
Level Contributor
5,972 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drop Avis rental car in Chiusi/Orvieto or FCO?

Avis Chiusi is confusing, isn't it? The office is in the Fiat franchise that's in a small modern suburb of Po' Bandino, which you would think is part of the Chiusi light industrial estate but is actually over the border in Umbria hence listed as Citta della Pieve, which is about a further 10 / 12 mins drive up the hill. But it's really only about 7 or 8 mins drive from Chiusi station and they'll meet / drop you at the station if you're coming this way. However, if I were you I would do just as Lynn suggests and drive to FCO and drop your car there. It's a very scenic drive and an easy one too. Possibly best not to do it late Sunday afternoon when the highway is full of Roman weekenders heading home or first thing on a weekday morning when you'll hit the Rome commuters from Orte onwards (and Rome commuters have a style of driving all of their own!). Leave your car and if money isn't a consideration, hop in a cab, easy.

NY, NY
Level Contributor
110 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Drop Avis rental car in Chiusi/Orvieto or FCO?

Thanks Lynn and Lastreneria--

This is why I love tripadvisor-- definitive opinions! FCO is it then, problem solved.

6. Re: Drop Avis rental car in Chiusi/Orvieto or FCO?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 05:16