We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Extra Vergin Olive Oil: where for a "serious" tasting ??

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
387 posts
141 reviews
Save Topic
Extra Vergin Olive Oil: where for a "serious" tasting ??

I've some clients interested in a tutored tasting of olive oil, Southern Tuscany area. Does anyone know a producer ( not an industrial one as Bertolli, Monini and so on) who offers "serious" tastings ?

Grazie !

Castellina in...
Level Contributor
3,313 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Extra Vergin Olive Oil: where for a "serious" tasting ??

I think that any grower has only his own oil. A cooperative oil press probably doesn't keep the olives brought in separate, except when the oil is taken away again immediately by the farmer. So what you probably need to do is buy a bottle of oil from any property where you go wine tasting, preferably from widely separated areas, and then do you own tasting. There's a fairly noticeable difference, on average, between oils pressed from Chianti olives and those from past Lucca towards the Ligurian coast. DOP, the equivalent of DOCG, is just now starting to be applied to olive oil so those might be the ones to buy. www.tuscanoliveoil.net/olive_oil_DOP.htm

I know that in Apulia, where adulteration of cold-pressed oil with imported rubbish is rampant, there is at least one group that assess oils and can easily distinguish junk from the real thing. There might well be a similar group in Tuscany who also do comparative tastings.

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
387 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Extra Vergin Olive Oil: where for a "serious" tasting ??

Ciao Tuscan,

Thanks for the reply.. I've posted the question also on the Italian version of the Forum ( which would be more natural for me, as I'm Italian), with zero reply :(

I live in the area and know several producers of wine/olive oil . My problem is finding a tour similar to the ones offered for wine, a sort of "tutored" tasting explaning to my guests the production method and tasting techniques..Maybe some "frantoio "?

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
1,529 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Extra Vergin Olive Oil: where for a "serious" tasting ??

Try contacting Frantoio Pruneti in San Polo in Chianti, www.pruneti.it - last fall I contacted them and they were willing to show my friend and me their machinery, harvesting, etc. The raccolta had just started a few days prior and we got to taste two oils pressed the night before. It wasn't an "official" tour, but they were so nice and welcoming to my friend and me. They had just moved into a new pressing/office facility and he said they were going to fix the upstairs into a tasting room for tours, after the harvest for the year ended. It's definitely worth a try writing them, they were SO nice!

Edited: 24 January 2010, 17:16
Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
387 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Extra Vergin Olive Oil: where for a "serious" tasting ??

Thanks Debstah !

5. Re: Extra Vergin Olive Oil: where for a "serious" tasting ??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 July 2010, 05:18