We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tuscan wine and bike tours - make sure it's legit!

chicago
1 post
Save Topic
tuscan wine and bike tours - make sure it's legit!

Be careful when booking a tour in Tuscany, especially wine or bike tours or others where travel is involved. There are lots of tour operators that seem "official" because they have a great website or brochure (and even lots of nice reviews here!) but are not licensed and do not have insurance to cover you if something should happen. Lately there has been talk in the Italian press about how the government is starting to crack down on these "abusive" tour operators. One offering wine tours was fined 1,600 Euros and asked to cease operations and another was stopped during a bike tour and all the tourists were left stranded in the countryside because the Italian carabinieri (policemen) impounded the bikes and vans mid-tour!

Just ask your tour operator for proof of insurance and license, check if they're a member of a tour operator association...it's common sense and as simple as that, and might save you lots of money if something should happen and you need medical care.

Castellina in...
Level Contributor
3,335 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tuscan wine and bike tours - make sure it's legit!

This subject comes up here from time to time: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187893-i67-k30853…

Before confirming, ask about license (permit) and insurance.

Verona, Italy
Level Contributor
3,530 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: tuscan wine and bike tours - make sure it's legit!

mommarco thanks for bringing this up it can never be said too many times.

There are lots of requests on here for wine tours, cookery classes and even weddings.

People should all be aware as many of the above who are wedding planners, or do tours are simply running the operation from their kitchen tables, offer transport and hotels to people and are not legal to do so.

Quicker the clamp down takes place the better for everyone.

It is tempting to save a few bucks but if it means putting everything at risk then it becomes less tempting.

I have no pity for the bikers whop were stranded, just as I would have none for a wedding being blocked.

In your own country you look for the legal cover why not in Italy where in my opinion it is even more important to check it out.

Travel safe = travel happy

3. Re: tuscan wine and bike tours - make sure it's legit!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 March 2010, 05:19