We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping Hired Drivers

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
689 posts
41 reviews
Tipping Hired Drivers

Sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong area. I have had such wonderful help from this group that I hope I'll be indulged.

We are using a driver with a Touring company HQ'd in Tuscany for two rides during our upcoming trip (first from the Pisa airport to La Spezia, and later from our car rental dropoff to a hotel in Pisa). TMI....sorry. I need a little advice about what is the customary gratuity for a driver for this sort of service as we have not used a driver like this in quite a long time.

Thanks in advance...

9 replies to this topic
South East England...
Level Contributor
5,545 posts
4 reviews
1. Re: Tipping Hired Drivers

No tipping in Italy Neurorad1 so I did not tip the driver from Tau Touring when he took us from Lucca to Sestri Levante nor the driver from the breakdown company that took us and all our luggage to Lucca.

mesh

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
689 posts
41 reviews
2. Re: Tipping Hired Drivers

You really are good, @mesh. You even figured out the touring company!

Thanks.

South East England...
Level Contributor
5,545 posts
4 reviews
3. Re: Tipping Hired Drivers

That's frightfully nice of you to say so!

mesh

California
Level Contributor
7,677 posts
52 reviews
4. Re: Tipping Hired Drivers

These tip questions always cause's a big fight on this forum but right or wrong, many people providing a private service such a private drivers, private tours, private cooks, boat tours, etc. gladly except a small tip now. Yes, blame it on American's for changing the culture but many people in these fields now see these tips daily.

Your certainly under no obligation to give one though. Many of us that do tip only give a few euros, not a like the higher amount's you would see in the US.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong. Just that it's almost the norm now and you did ask the question.

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
689 posts
41 reviews
5. Re: Tipping Hired Drivers

Maybe 10 euros tip for a one hour drive? Reasonable? The trip costs 160 euro.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
40,164 posts
18 reviews
6. Re: Tipping Hired Drivers

You are already paying them, why pay more? Italians don't tip because it's not required or expected. This is an American thing that you don't need to do in Italy. Mesh gave you the correct answer.

Donna

South East England...
Level Contributor
5,545 posts
4 reviews
7. Re: Tipping Hired Drivers

Neurorad1 the driver from Tau Touring told us that he only worked part of the year (implying that he earned good money) and the rest of the time he went on his travels around the world so why would you tip someone that can afford to do that?

mesh

Edited: 23 April 2018, 20:39
South East England...
Level Contributor
5,545 posts
4 reviews
8. Re: Tipping Hired Drivers

Also see post No4 by NapOrsoCapo71 in this thread: https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187…

mesh

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
15,228 posts
65 reviews
9. Re: Tipping Hired Drivers

Clint.....you are beyond delusional if you think that a few foolish Americans who insist on tipping are going to "change the culture."

That is laughable.

Tipping is an American thing.

The Italians aren't interested in it.

Reply to: Tipping Hired Drivers
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted