We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to go in Sardinia?

Bristol
Level Contributor
727 posts
64 reviews
Where to go in Sardinia?

Hi

Could someone who knows or has been to Sardinia let me know the best places to go and stay for a few nights please? We are a couple looking to stay in quiet resorts (as much as they can be in August!) with beaches and restaurants. Any tips on resorts/hotels would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Zoe

Alghero
Level Contributor
2,367 posts
23 reviews
1. Re: Where to go in Sardinia?

zoefroog,

Wherever you go in Sardinia in August will be very busy, as the island is the holiday destination of choose for Italians from the mainland, which as you probably know closes down for the month.

As you are only there for a few days, it makes sense to stay close to where you intend to land - Alghero, Olbia or Cagliari. If you want to come back with the location and the level of accommodation you seek, then I am sure there will be plenty of recommendations.

Good Luck.

2. Re: Where to go in Sardinia?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 December 2007, 21:26
Bristol
Level Contributor
727 posts
64 reviews
3. Re: Where to go in Sardinia?

Hi

Thanks for your reply - sorry - I think my original post was misleading. We are actually going for two weeks and have just booked flights - therefore, we hope to travel round the island staying for a few nights in each place that we choose. Therefore, could anyone let me know which resorts they have been to that are quieter than the rest please? We were looking to stay on the islands of San Pietro and Sant Antioco if these are nice?

Thanks.

Alghero
Level Contributor
2,367 posts
23 reviews
4. Re: Where to go in Sardinia?

zoefroog,

San Pietro and Sant Antioco are very nice, as is the rest of the island. Because they are remote, they are less busy, but there is also much less to do there.

There are lots and lots of secluded coves and beaches all over the islands, so if that is what you are looking for, then you would be best to hire a car for the fortnight and explore the coastline, picking two or three resorts at which to base yourself. You will not find anywhere on the island that is quiet during August I'm afraid.

A useful illustration is the fact that the island's population of 1.5 million grew to 6 million every August and that was before the advent of low cost airlines in the mid 1990's - it now reaches 7.5 million during that month.

Wherever you choose, please make sure that you book your accommodation early to avoid disappointment.

Good Luck.

Bristol
Level Contributor
727 posts
64 reviews
5. Re: Where to go in Sardinia?

Thanks again - your reply is really helpful and much appreciated. Other than the little islets - do you have any other ideas of resorts on the main island on the quieter side please? Thanks.

Alghero
Level Contributor
2,367 posts
23 reviews
6. Re: Where to go in Sardinia?

zoefroog,

If they are resorts, they will be crowded in August. The larger the resort, the more crowded they will be

There are many, many small coastal villages but these are so small that they will probably not even have a bar, let alone an hotel or a restaurant.

The west coast around Oristano and the east coast around Melisenda are often quieter than most other places, but then they have less to offer.

Good Luck.

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero, Melton Mowbray, Elora
Level Contributor
16,692 posts
72 reviews
7. Re: Where to go in Sardinia?

I would opt for Calasetta on Sant Antioco.

If you search the forum you will find several entries about Calasetta with recommendations.

8. Re: Where to go in Sardinia?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 September 2009, 07:19