We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay when flying into Alghero (in October)

Watford, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Where to stay when flying into Alghero (in October)

Hello!

Myself and my boyfriend are flying into Alghero on 2nd October. We are only on the island for a few days, well until 6th October. We enjoy beaches, boat trips and good food! We also wanted to rent a car but aren't looking to do too long of a drive each day. Where would be the best area to base ourselves?

So main questions are:

Where is the best places to go or stay?

What areas should we try and visit?

Any good restaurants you could recommend?

Anything we should know about driving in Sardinia?

Thank you so much in advance!

Kirstie

8 replies to this topic
Utrecht, The...
Level Contributor
3,562 posts
155 reviews
1. Re: Where to stay when flying into Alghero (in October)

Alghero itself is very nice and I think still lively at that time. Alghero has good beaches and plenty of bars and restaurants. With a car you can explore outside Alghero. Places like Cala Gonone are beautiful but I have a feeling they will be very quiet in October. Maybe others will know?

Driving on Sardinia is easy. Just obey the speedlimits and read up on ZTL zones (zones where you are not allowed to drive within old city centers without a a residents licence, usually pedestrian areas but not always). I think you need to put on the car lights when you drive outside urban areas.

Watford, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
2. Re: Where to stay when flying into Alghero (in October)

Thank you! I’m not finding many hotels available in Alghero for our dates. Would the next good areas be Bosa and Porto Terres?

Suffolk
4 posts
3. Re: Where to stay when flying into Alghero (in October)

Hotel oasis is just across the road from the beautiful Maria pia beach. Can recommend this hotel.

Sardinia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
1,838 posts
4. Re: Where to stay when flying into Alghero (in October)

"Would the next good areas be Bosa and Porto Terres?"

I much prefer Bosa to Porto Torres - I would only consider staying even just a night in Porto Torres area if catching an early morning ferry - however I'm surprised you are struggling to find availability in Alghero for October.

Sardinia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
1,838 posts
5. Re: Where to stay when flying into Alghero (in October)

"What areas should we try and visit?" & "enjoy beaches, boat trips"

La Pelosa beach at Stintino, Porto Ferro beach, driving the Alghero-Bosa coast road ( look out for the griffon vultures soaring from the cliffs above you), Bosa, Bosa Marina, Monteleone Rocca Doria would be on my sightseeing hitlist of things to see & do outside of Alghero while based there without overdoing the mielage.

There are a range of boat trips out of Alghero harbour including to the Nettuno cave however I'd take a view on the weather once there before deciding which and if to go on

"Anything we should know about driving in Sardinia?"

The general standard of driving here is shocking however this is more than offset by a minimal level of traffic which is much much lower than you'll find at home.

Watford, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
6. Re: Where to stay when flying into Alghero (in October)

Thank you for your help! Are you able to advise how much a general meal would be I.e pasta and pizza and the average price of beer or wine, thank you!

Watford, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
7. Re: Where to stay when flying into Alghero (in October)

Thank you for your help! Are you able to advise how much a general meal would be I.e pasta and pizza and the average price of beer or wine, thank you!

Utrecht, The...
Level Contributor
3,562 posts
155 reviews
8. Re: Where to stay when flying into Alghero (in October)

I see plenty of accomodation in Alghero for your dates www.booking.com.

Food and drinks can be as cheap or expensive as you wish, it depends on where you are.

Edited: 17 September 2018, 18:57
Reply to: Where to stay when flying into Alghero (in October)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted