We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

21 nights in Sardinia and Corsica

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
57 posts
11 reviews
21 nights in Sardinia and Corsica

Hi all

We are planning a 21 night itinerary for Sardinia and Corsica next year from May 22nd to 12 June 2019. We will fly into Cagliari from Rome and out of Cagliari back to Rome. We are planning a self drive. We are interested in history, culture, beaches, and of course, food and wine. We are hoping that someone can help with a suggested itinerary.

Draft itinerary at the moment is:

Cagliari - 1 night

Oristano - 2 nights

Alghero - 4 nights

drive to ferry to Corsica(leave car in Sardinia)

Bonifacio - 2 nights

Ajaccio - 2 nights

Calvi - 2 nights

then drive back down to Bonifaccio (leave car and get ferry back to Sardinia and pick up new car) and drive to Olbia)

Olbia - 2 nights

Cala Gonone - 3 nights

Cagliari - 3 nights.

Suggestions and alterations gladly accepted.

14 replies to this topic
Sardinia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
1. Re: 21 nights in Sardinia and Corsica

Great plan and for various reasons a good time of year to do it too!

The outline routing and time allocation looks fine however all the bases are either large towns and/or coastal towns. The traditions and culture of both Sardinias & Corsica are predominately that of the land rather than sea - nations of farmers rather than fisher folk* - thus I would look to spend at least a night inland on both islands. Corte and Sartene in Corsica, Santu Lussurgiu and Oliena in Sardinia would fit in with your routing and are known cultural 'heartlands'.

Some more initial thoughts on the overall itinerary:

Perhaps drive straight to Oristano from the airport? It's an hours drive.

As part of this itinerary 2 nights in Olbia wouldn't especially appeal. If I was looking for a base in the NE corner I would choose Palau or Cannigione although if you aren't planning on a day swimming around La Maddalena or Costa Smeralda I'd be tempted to keep on going.

Calvi-Bonifacio-ferry-Olbia makes for quite a long day and rushes you through some areas that you , or most certainly your camera lens, would like to stop and explore for a bit.

*Obviously there are certain areas renowned for their sea traditions - e.g. Sant'Antioco, Bosa & Cabras in Sardinia, the beautiful Centuri & Erbalunga in Corsica.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
57 posts
11 reviews
2. Re: 21 nights in Sardinia and Corsica

Thank you very much dancing rave for your suggestions. We will certainly take up some of them, especially your suggestion to spend some time in more central towns in both Corsica and Sardinia.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4,137 posts
76 reviews
3. Re: 21 nights in Sardinia and Corsica

Here are links to a couple of hotels in Corsica that we really enjoyed on a similar trip:

Near Ajaccio:

http://www.uparadisu.com/

Near Propriano:

https://www.hotelabbartello.com/

You have a great trip planned, so enjoy!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
57 posts
11 reviews
4. Re: 21 nights in Sardinia and Corsica

Thank you PWMW.

Edited: 24 June 2018, 22:02
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
57 posts
11 reviews
5. Re: 21 nights in Sardinia and Corsica

Hi dancingbrave. We have followed some of your suggestions re itinerary and made some modifications and additions.

The itinerary now looks like this:

Fly into Cagliari from Rome. Pick up car and drive to Oristano.

Oristano 2 nights

Alghero 3 nights

Drive to Santa Teressa port - Ferry to Bonifacio, Corsica. Pretty sure that we can't take car across to Corsica, so it will be returned at the port, we hope. Need to research this a bit more.

Bonifacio 2 nights

Sartene 1 night

Ajaccio 2 nights

Calvi 2 nights

Corte 1 night

Porto Vecchio 1 night

Ferry back to Sardinia. Pick up new car at the port. Need to check this out.

Palau 3 nights

Cala Gonone 3 nights

Cagliari 3 nights

Fly from Cagliari to Rome.

We intend to try and see La Maddalena, Bosa, Sant Antioco, Barumini, Orgasolo and Arbatax while based in our various locations.

Any more suggestions?

Cheers.

Sardinia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
6. Re: 21 nights in Sardinia and Corsica

"Any more suggestions?"

Before I delve into my box of must-dos, do you have any interest in doing some hiking?

if so to what degree - 20 minute stroll, 2/3 hours up a hill , full day mountains etc

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
57 posts
11 reviews
7. Re: 21 nights in Sardinia and Corsica

Probably 20 minute stroll would be our preference.

Cheers.

Brescia, Italy
1 post
8. Re: 21 nights in Sardinia and Corsica

Hi guys! your itinerary looks beautiful, I often spend my summers in sardinia and I think you are missing out on porto cervo and porto rotondo, also I'd suggest to go see san pantaleo, it will take only an hour or so but it's a nice old village and nearby there is a delicious agriturism with typical food that I really love.

I just wrote a post on sardinia on my blog and I will write some more over the course of the summer, in case you are interested in some opinion from a local :)

have fun!

lisa

https://lisaintheworld.com/category/sardinia/

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
57 posts
11 reviews
9. Re: 21 nights in Sardinia and Corsica

Thank you very much for your comments. We are really looking forward to next year.

Edited: 26 June 2018, 13:20
Canberra
Level Contributor
150 posts
10 reviews
10. Re: 21 nights in Sardinia and Corsica

Last September we drove around Sardinia for 16 days (anticlockwise). The driving is quite mountainous and we found the drive from Ballao to Baunei (inland) to be very beautiful but a full day of up and down mountains). The small towns you pass through are just gorgeous. If possible I would strongly suggest staying a night at Bosa (or at least a day trip). It's between Alghero and Oristano and so beautiful. While driving the west coast you should also keep an eye out for Condor. Sardinia sadly doesn't have a lot of wildlife but it does have the condor! The nuraghi of course are amazing - I think we explored at least 7 and never got tired of them - they are all so different. Also on the west coast is Tharros - some great Roman ruins that sit right along the coast. Pula also has some good ruins.

Personally I wouldn't hang around Palau for 3 nights - get away from the ports and find some nice little towns.

Everyone told me not to spend time in Cagliari, but I found it delightful and the people just lovely.

We also went on a day tour along the east coast in a boat and enjoyed that very much. While I'm not usually a tour person this was one way to see the coast from the water and the company we went with fed us all day and took us to 4 beaches. There was only about 16 people on the boat so it was a fantastic day.

Good luck with the trip - you'll love it!

Reply to: 21 nights in Sardinia and Corsica
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted