We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving and parking in north east Sardinia

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
45 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Driving and parking in north east Sardinia

I have read quite a bit about speeding and parking charges on Sardinia. We are staying in Capo Testa mid-late June and were planning to hire a car from/to Olbia airport for the duration of our stay to explore the north east - but I’m now feeling a little nervous about driving anywhere!! Can anyone advise please if free parking is generally easy to come by? If parking fees are applicable is this usually obvious?? Also are road speeds clearly signposted?? Is it acceptable to park on the road if visiting beaches (and is this generally free?). Any advice on driving and parking in general would be appreciated. Thanks

6 replies to this topic
Sardinia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
1,672 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving and parking in north east Sardinia

I'm surprised you've seen plenty written about speeding charges in Sardinia. There are very few speed cameras , fixed or roadside, in operation here. Perhaps you've been reading about the Alghero ZTL? (camera enforced restricted access to Alghero old town) There are more roadside checks than you are likely used to - these are primarily document checks though if you're driving with headlights off when they should be on you risk an on-the-spot fine.

The official line is that the max speed limit on any open road across the island is 90 kmh, bar the stretch of 131 between Cagliari & Bauladu in the south which has a 110 kmh limit.

Enter any kind of urban area - from largest town to smallest village and the max drops to 50 kmh. It's all very well signposted as are any local variances to above.

I'm obviously not going to suggest flouting any law but will merely point out almost all locals, certainly all that I know, will routinely drive 10-20 kmh above the max on the open road, outside of towns. Go with the flow....

"If parking fees are applicable is this usually obvious??"

Yes. Either in the form of the parking bay being marked out by blue painted lines or in the case of pop-up car parks by isolated beaches, a man with a rope, table & sun umbrella ;)

"Is it acceptable to park on the road if visiting beaches (and is this generally free?)."

Depends. Best advice is to follow signage. Where it is forbidden, the signs will be clear & obvious.

"Any advice on driving and parking in general would be appreciated"

You must carry documents - id, driving license, car docs - with you at all times when driving. Failure to produce at any of the not infrequent roadside checks will result in a fine possibly car seizure.

You must turn your headlamps on when driving outside town at any time of the day.

Try to avoid driving between midnight & 6.00 am Sat & Sun mornings especially. That's when the vast majority of accidents happen, due to weenyboppers acting up en route to & from the disco :(

"I’m now feeling a little nervous about driving anywhere!!"

No need to be, traffic is very light here.

Edited: 16 March 2018, 07:25
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
45 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving and parking in north east Sardinia

Thank you this is really helpful and set my mind at ease!

Utrecht, The...
Level Contributor
3,283 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving and parking in north east Sardinia

We drove all over the island and had no problems at all. Just read up on ZTL zones (they are enforced and you will receive a ticket) and you will be fine. The only paid parking we had was in the larger towns.

I did not know about the rule for headlights outside towns, but maybe our rental car's lights were automatically turned on! I can not remember.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
45 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving and parking in north east Sardinia

Thank you that’s good to know.

Can anyone give an indication of how much parking fees are likely to be?? We’d probably spend between a couple of hours to half a day in towns (unless there’s a LOT to see) and up to a full day at beach. Even a rough idea would be quite helpful to know in advance! Thanks again

Utrecht, The...
Level Contributor
3,283 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving and parking in north east Sardinia

Parking at the harbour in Cagliari was 10 or 12 euro fir 24 hours. I think if you calculate 2 euro per hour you Will be fine.

Edited: 17 March 2018, 09:56
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
45 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving and parking in north east Sardinia

Great thanks

Reply to: Driving and parking in north east Sardinia
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted