We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Verona or Vicenza

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
2 posts
21 reviews
30 helpful votes
Verona or Vicenza
Save

Hello

My wife and I plan on visiting Venice for 3 nights the first week of December. With the present high water situation, we’re not Sure we’ll go as planned and are trying to have a plan B. We’ll have 2 to 3 nights to spare and wanted to ask if we should spend them in Verona or Vicenza. Thank you!

5 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
109,550 posts
16 reviews
17 helpful votes
1. Re: Verona or Vicenza
Save

The water in Venice is caused by very high tides, so it comes and goes twice each day. The situation today has no bearing on how it my be in early December.

CA
Level Contributor
14,766 posts
3 reviews
12 helpful votes
2. Re: Verona or Vicenza
Save

I'd choose Padova over Verona or Vicenza. But of course in Verona you could see "Juliet's Balcony," added to the building in 1934 by the government to boost tourism.

Level Contributor
154 posts
3. Re: Verona or Vicenza
Save

Verona is so beautiful that i think even 3 nights there is so little, also can do day trip to lake garda , but i still hope that the situation in venice will be better by that time because venice is also worth a visit

good luck

Province of Milan...
Level Contributor
77 posts
3 reviews
1 helpful vote
4. Re: Verona or Vicenza
Save

Verona is very beautiful. You can stay there and have one or even 2 day trips (Vicenza & Padova).

Naples, Italy
Level Contributor
4,944 posts
34 reviews
127 helpful votes
5. Re: Verona or Vicenza
Save

Verona has one of the most remarkable and best preserved Medieval historic centres in the whole of Europe, Vicenza has a strong late-Renaissance heritage (the presence of Andrea Palladio is indeed tangible): they're definitely apples and pears.

Also Verona is bigger and in some regards more commercial, Vicenza is smaller and with a strong local flair.

Both the options are valid, it's up to you to decide.

Padua is another good option but imho is less atmospheric than Vicenza and Verona. Imho is more a city for history geeks and the heavily curious-minded.

Edited: 1 year ago
Reply to: Verona or Vicenza
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Ireland. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.