We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Venice to Vicenza to Florence

Colorado
Level Contributor
453 posts
36 reviews
23 helpful votes
Venice to Vicenza to Florence
Save

I would like to leave Venice early in the morning and take a train to Vicenza, spend the day there only, then take a late train to Florence. I know it's short in Vicenza but time is limited. So the main question is, are there luggage lockers at the train station in Vicenza so we can leave our luggage at the station and tour Vicenza for several hours? Would Padova (closer to Venice and I believe I read it is on the same train line to Florence) or Verona (further) maybe be better choices for some reason or another? Then the same question remains about lockers at the train stations. Or do you strongly recommend spending the night in one of those towns instead of trying to travel on to Florence the same day?....I'm trying very hard not to do one-nighters in hotels. Thank you, Ana

8 replies to this topic
CA
Level Contributor
14,766 posts
3 reviews
12 helpful votes
1. Re: Venice to Vicenza to Florence
Save

Yes there is "deposito bagagli," staffed facility at the station. Also in Padova, IMO a much more interesting town.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
109,522 posts
16 reviews
17 helpful votes
2. Re: Venice to Vicenza to Florence
Save

There are no luggage lockers at any train station in Italy, for security reasons. A number of major stations, including Vicenza and Padova, have staffed luggage storage.

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
7,463 posts
1,304 reviews
1,020 helpful votes
3. Re: Venice to Vicenza to Florence
Save

https://bagbnb.com/luggage-storage/vicenza/main-station/luggage-storage-train-station?dropOff=2019-11-01T12:00:42%2B01:00&pickUp=2019-11-01T18:00:42%2B01:00&bags=2

Colorado
Level Contributor
453 posts
36 reviews
23 helpful votes
4. Re: Venice to Vicenza to Florence
Save

thank you, that is good to know about the luggage store option. Still wondering if spending the day in Vicenza or Padova, then taking a late train to Florence sounds like a viable option to anybody.

Savannah, GA
Level Contributor
2,015 posts
38 reviews
37 helpful votes
5. Re: Venice to Vicenza to Florence
Save

I do not think you would regret a day in Padua - especially if you get (must do in advance) reservations to visit the Scrovegni Chapel and adjacent museum, a marvelous experience. I'd not be reluctant to arrive in Florence after dark. Might spring for a taxi - if you are luggage laden - to your Florence accommodation.

Cambridge...
Level Contributor
1,574 posts
92 reviews
54 helpful votes
6. Re: Venice to Vicenza to Florence
Save

Do check the hours of operation for any staffed left luggage counter you are planning to use, especially if you are planning a late day train from your day trip city to Florence.

Colorado
Level Contributor
453 posts
36 reviews
23 helpful votes
7. Re: Venice to Vicenza to Florence
Save

thank you for the info/advice

salt lake city
Level Contributor
6,150 posts
23 reviews
18 helpful votes
8. Re: Venice to Vicenza to Florence
Save

Ana, Padova or Vicenza depends on your interests. Vicenza has incredible architecture from one of the most important architects in Italy, Palladio. It is also more "intimate" and very Italian. I prefer Vicenza to Padova, the latter being more chaotic and giving more an impression of "big citiy", it has a large university and some areas of towns certainly reflect the high numbers of students, if you get my drift...

Of course, there is the Scrovegni chapel in Padova, worth a visit. Are you into art?

Verona is out of the way, not on the same train line, so I would not stop for the day there.

I would do the day trip, leaving early in the morning, spending a few hours and lunch in Vicenza (or Padova) and continuing to Florence in the evening.

Reply to: Venice to Vicenza to Florence
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
US$USD
Ireland
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Ireland. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.