We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mapping that works on iPhone ?

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
8 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Mapping that works on iPhone ?

What is the best mapping system that you have found that works in Venice ?

I've had recommended the Tom Tom system, as it also downloads to be stored locally (saving on data roaming costs).

Most mapping seems to be ok, in most cities, but Venice, with canals etc, cause many to fail.

We're looking at a short (ish) walk from the train station to our apartment, but without local knowledge, it's not appearing that simple

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
45,269 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mapping that works on iPhone ?

I know little about a this sort of thing, but from what I have heard, , in Venice things do not work well , the Calles are narrow,,old fashioned map's take a lot of beating,

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
79,378 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mapping that works on iPhone ?

No electronic mapping device works well in Venice. The "streets" are mostly less than 6 feet wide, with high buildings on both sides, and the devices cannot make contact with satellites or phone towers to calculate their position.

Venice, Italy
Destination Expert
for Venice, City of Venice
Level Contributor
7,300 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mapping that works on iPhone ?

The walking directions on Google Maps tends to work pretty well, and it tends to manage landmarks and street names decently, but Google Maps tends to not understand Venice address numbering at all.

If you manually specify the starting and ending points, it can show you a good path, though it tends to underestimate the walking time a bit I find.

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,202 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mapping that works on iPhone ?

"I use the Touring Club of Italy's Pianta della citta "Venezia" which is on a scale of 1:5000 to find my way around Vencie and its islands amd do mot rely on internet or satnav at all.

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
8 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mapping that works on iPhone ?

Cheers, thanx for all the help. Tried and tested map it is.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
45,269 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mapping that works on iPhone ?

Something basic iike the Rough Guide map is ideal, detailed enough and weather proof which is a bonus,

Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
152 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mapping that works on iPhone ?

I downloaded a pdf map of Venice on my phone It won't tell you where you are but you don't need wifi or roaming to use it.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
79,378 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mapping that works on iPhone ?

I wish you luck using a map of Venice on the tiny screen of a phone: it is hard enough to follow with a good-sized paper map!

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
4,575 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mapping that works on iPhone ?

Just get lost... SO much more fun!!!

10. Re: Mapping that works on iPhone ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2012, 05:15