We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking near Ortisei - Rifugios.

Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Hiking near Ortisei - Rifugios.

I'm going to be travelling near Ortisei for 4 nights from Aug 10-14th (yes, soon) and plan to do some hiking in the area. I have a B&B booked in St. Peter (refundable) but started reading about Rifugios and am very intrigued, and thought maybe i'd like to stay in one for a night or 2 or even more. I really have no idea where to start. There are a ton of Rifugios, and I'm not sure how best to plan my stay there. I'm inclined to just keep my reservation and do day hikes, stopping at the Rifugios for meals. Do you recommend picking one and staying there, using it as a base for day hikes, or hopping from one to the next? For hopping, do you reserve in advance or just book when you arrive? If reserving, how do you plan which ones you'll get to for the night? Would you have to map out a whole loop trail in advance? I'm leaning toward just keeping my reservation and day hiking because this seems complicated. But hoping people on here have some good advice on this, and on hiking in the region in general. BTW - I will have a car during my stay.

Thank you!

Jeff

Mentioned in this post
Ortisei
Ortisei
Val Gardena, Italy
Private Day Tour by car: The Great...
16 Reviews
US$172 per adult
Free Cancellation
2.5-Hour Small-Group Bolzano Street...
5 Reviews
US$99 per adult
Free Cancellation
Private daily Tour: The most...
1 Review
US$231 per adult
Free Cancellation
4 replies to this topic
Selva di Val...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
835 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiking near Ortisei - Rifugios.

Hello,

I'm not an expert on rifugios, but the important thing to bare in mind is that you are travelling very high season and as the rest of Italy is experiencing very high temperatures, anywhere a bit higher (and therefore cooler) is going to be full. If you have accommodation booked, I'd stick with it.

You could try contacting some refugios in the area to see if they have beds free, but I doubt it. You really need to start planning this a bit earlier.

DD

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiking near Ortisei - Rifugios.

Thanks for your advice DD. Its nice to hear from someone who knows the area. We did start planning late, and although there were a lot of places sold out, we were able to get bookings. But I figured I'd ask since I don't know the situation with rifugios. Most likely I'll just keep it as is, and I'm sure we'll have a wonderful time hiking the region and maybe stopping into Rifugios for meals.

Selva di Val...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
835 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiking near Ortisei - Rifugios.

Hi Jeff,

the hiking in the region is really good and you'll get a great meal at the rifugios. There's a really big range from tiny little typical alpine dairies which just do the basics using fresh milk and other produce, through to huts which are more like gourmet restaurants. Have fun exploring!

DD

Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiking near Ortisei - Rifugios.

Woohoo! Can't wait! Thank you!

Reply to: Hiking near Ortisei - Rifugios.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted