We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Ticket -Validation

West Cumbria
Level Contributor
32 posts
9 reviews
Day Ticket -Validation

Hi

I understand I can buy a day ticket but its unclear on the website http://www.atm-mi.it/en/Pages/default.aspx if you need just to validate it once or everytime you change or start a journey that day. Any answers greatly appreciated.

Turin
Level Contributor
9,559 posts
1 review
1. Re: Day Ticket -Validation

It seems quite clear to me, it says that only "Magnetic tickets should be stamped at the start of every journey and every time you change vehicles".

Turin
Level Contributor
9,559 posts
1 review
2. Re: Day Ticket -Validation

Sorry, I clicked submit too soon. Part 2:

I guess that, being magnetic tickets the validation machine won't overwrite the time/date-stamp, but it will just tell if the ticket is still valid.

Let's wait for a local to chime in and tell us if I got it right.

Edited: 29 January 2017, 16:35
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
37,235 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: Day Ticket -Validation

On atm.it/en/…Biglietti.aspx which refers to the one-day "ticket", it says "valid for 24 hours after stamping", which might imply that this is done only once. However, the warnings at the bottom of that page include, "Stamp the TICKET every time you change vehicle on overground network." I think therefore that they mean "first stamping", as regards starting the validity period running, but that indeed it is necessary to validate for every change of vehicle/ method of transport.

In addition, the 1-day ticket (which is also called an urban day pass) can be loaded onto a (€2.50) RicaricaMi electronic card (atm.it/en/…TesseraRIcaricaMI.aspx) which also have to be swiped (validated) upon entering every vehicle as well as on exit from the metro.

Even if this were not the case for the 1-day ticket, as indicated, the validation machines won't overwrite anything, but simply recognise it as valid, for a period of 24 hours from the first validation.

Edited: 29 January 2017, 18:21
FF
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Milan, Genoa, Valle d'Aosta
Level Contributor
13,073 posts
111 reviews
4. Re: Day Ticket -Validation

Here's a local chiming in :-)

The 24-hour ticket you get from vending machines is a paper ticket with a magnetic strip. It needs to be swiped through the turnstiles each time you take the metro. You may swipe it in the little red machine whenever you board a tram or bus, but this is not mandatory after the first validation.

West Cumbria
Level Contributor
32 posts
9 reviews
5. Re: Day Ticket -Validation

Thanks everyone for their help, makes it an easier visit

6. Re: Day Ticket -Validation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 February 2018, 06:15