We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Florence to La Spezia (& Cinque Terre) in December

Costa Mesa...
1 post
1 review
Florence to La Spezia (& Cinque Terre) in December

My wife & I are going to be spending our winter holiday in Italy. We have Eurail passes and reservations for all of our trips except for our trip to the Cinque Terre. I know that we catch the regional train in La Spezia and that we handle that piece when we arrive, but I want to get our seats reserved between Florence & La Spezia since it was not easy to get our seats on some of the other legs of our journey. I've been checking weekly for the train schedule between Florence and La Spezia to come out, but so far the Trenitalia site has only released the schedule for trains running through Rome and Milan. Does anyone know when to expect the regular semi-direct schedule of trains that run through Pisa to come out?

La Spezia, Italy
Destination Expert
for La Spezia, Porto Venere, Lerici
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
42 reviews
1. Re: Florence to La Spezia (& Cinque Terre) in December

Not sure that you can reserve the Florence - La Spezia as the few direct trains are regional. And the Florence-Pisa where you have to change are also regional should be possible on the Pisa-La Spezia leg where there are IC's and Eurocity trains

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
98,672 posts
17 reviews
2. Re: Florence to La Spezia (& Cinque Terre) in December

There is a timetable change on 11 December. Times after that date will be available soon.

There is absolutely no point in trying to make reservations over the Internet for travel between Florence and the Cinque Terre. These are local (Regionale) trains. They have no seat reservations and tickets cannot sell out. With your train pass, you can just get onto any of these trains.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
33,130 posts
3. Re: Florence to La Spezia (& Cinque Terre) in December

Some connections from Florence to the Cinque Terre do use trains requiring reserved seats, either between Pisa and la Spezia or direct from Pisa to Monterosso. On http://www.trenitalia.com/homepage_en.html these are the connections where one of the entries in the 'train category' column reads ES, FB or IC rather than the unreservable '?' or R. Tickets for these connections are valid only on the specific train with reserved seats for that part of the journey. It is highly unlikely that reservations (if necessary) will not be available in Florence immediately before travel, and you can always take alternative connections which do not require reservations.

When the new schedules are online, look for your connections entering Florence and your Cinque Terre destination village, don't split the journey at la Spezia as a change there is not always necessary.

Edited: 29 November 2011, 23:32
Le Marche, Italy
Level Contributor
37,738 posts
29 reviews
4. Re: Florence to La Spezia (& Cinque Terre) in December

I myself wouldn't go to the Cinque Terre in December. The weather is likely to be unsuitable for outdoor activities, and the Cinque Terre has almost no indoor activities, except shopping for souvenirs.

5. Re: Florence to La Spezia (& Cinque Terre) in December

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 18:40