We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

La Spezia ... Trains with Bicycles

1 post
La Spezia ... Trains with Bicycles

Hi there!

Hoping someone can please help us out. We are traveling through Italy by bicycle. We have taken our bicycles on several regional/local trains with no issues in Italy so far.

The regional train that runs from La Spezia to Genoa does not have the tiny bicycle icon indicating bicycles are allowed.

We are trying to find a way out of La Spezia over to Genoa by train... any ideas?

Can we just hope we get a nice conductor and take them on as per usual?

Or can we take another train in the opposite direction and somehow reconnect to a different regional train that goes west to Genoa that does have the bicycle icon?

Thank you very much in advance for the help!

10 replies to this topic
UK
Level Contributor
627 posts
32 reviews
1. Re: La Spezia ... Trains with Bicycles

No idea, sorry, but bumping for you and also F for Following, as I sometimes cycle and get the train and have wondered what I would do if I had a mechanical bike failure or needed to get a train home that didn't have the symbol. I hope someone replies soon.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
32,856 posts
2. Re: La Spezia ... Trains with Bicycles

My guess is that these trains will carry bikes.

As transport for bikes is free in Liguria (though you are meant to see the train conductor on boarding who may or may not bother to issue you a free pass) Trenitalia is probably no longer bothered about ensuring that the train information re bikes is displayed. In the past, when the symbols were displayed, these trains certainly carried bikes.

There's meant to be a downloadable list of Ligurian trains carrying bikes instead, but it isn't online. My guess is that it isn't online because it would simply be every Regional train in Liguria.

Edited: 27 July 2018, 10:56
Toronto
8 posts
3. Re: La Spezia ... Trains with Bicycles

Amazing! Thank you so much for this helpful information. We will go off this basis, and hopefully make friends with the conductor:)

Thank you for your help

Cagliari, Italy
2 posts
1 review
4. Re: La Spezia ... Trains with Bicycles

Hi Valerie, have you been disassembling the bikes or taking them on as is. I am needing to transport mine, Parma to La Spezia, La Spezia to Lucca and will not have bike bag.

TIA

FF
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Milan, Genoa, Valle d'Aosta
Level Contributor
13,013 posts
111 reviews
5. Re: La Spezia ... Trains with Bicycles

#4 - you can transport your assembled bike on regional trains (but need a specific bike ticket in most regions).

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
32,856 posts
6. Re: La Spezia ... Trains with Bicycles

You need the bike tickets for Parma-la Spezia-Lucca, as most of the journey is in not in Liguria.

Trenitalia's bike rules are here trenitalia.com/tcom-en/Services/Travelling-w… and the <icons> are found by clicking the <i> for information next to the train number on the Trenitalia website.

Edited: 07 August 2018, 10:31
Cagliari, Italy
2 posts
1 review
7. Re: La Spezia ... Trains with Bicycles

Thank you for this help. Do you have any idea how to obtain a bike ticket, I have tried looking on all the online booking sites but cannot see where I can reserve a spot for bike. Thanks

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
32,856 posts
8. Re: La Spezia ... Trains with Bicycles

You can buy a bike ticket on http://www.trenitalia.com/tcom-en - click <subscription and carnet> below where you would normally enter <to> and <return>, then scroll down and click <other services>. Or buy at a train station.

You can't reserve a spot for bikes on Regional trains, any more than you can reserve a seat for people. In both cases, you're simply buying a ticket, not making reservations.

Rochdale, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
9. Re: La Spezia ... Trains with Bicycles

I hit this issue, which appears to be around 18 months old, last year. Trying to plan a route from Follonica to Acqui Terme with my bike the German Railways website (which allows you to plan with "bicycle transport allowed") kept coming up with some very peculiar routings. It became apparent that travel with a bike, even on local trains, between La Spezia and Genova wasn't permitted, except on one or two early morning or late night trains. On arriving in Italy I got hold of a copy of the "Orario Veltro" train timetable book. This showed that there were indeed restrictions on bicycles on local trains between La Spezia and Genova but that bicycles seemed to be permitted to/from Genova and a place called Sestri Levante.

So what's going on? The area where bikes aren't permitted is basically the Cinqueterre - the famously scenic coastline in this area. My guess is that this is a very popular area for mountain biking in particular, as well as for hiking and simply visiting the villages. The area is doubtless popular with people from Genova as well as with tourists from further afield. This will have inevitably led, especially at weekends, to very crowded trains made worse by more cycles that could reasonably be accommodated. In the eyes of those who tend to make this sort of decision the simple answer will have been to ban bikes from trains going through the Cinqueterre. I couldn't (and still can't) find any information giving the official justification for this so what is written above is speculation on my part, however I think my speculation is not unreasonable.

So what did I do? I ignored the ban. I was travelling on a weekday afternoon in June directly between La Spezia and Genova and I had already bought a bike ticket for my journey between Follonica and La Spezia. The train in La Spezia had the usual bike space behind the driver's cab in the driving van trailer at the front of the train so I put my bike there (along with two others). The train was three-quarters empty. If I'd been challenged by the guard I was planning to play the "ignorant tourist" card as, it turned out, were the French couple who owned the other two bikes. In the end no-one even checked our tickets.

So my advice would be that, for 95% of the time, you can probably get away with it but, if you're travelling at a weekend in August, you might not.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
32,856 posts
10. Re: La Spezia ... Trains with Bicycles

It's not a matter of 'getting away with it'. Bikes are allowed on these trains.

The German DB website simply takes its information from the Trenitalia website, which doesn't show that they are allowed, even though in fact they are.

This anomaly is recent, and dates from the signing of a new contract between the Ligurian Regional Government and Trenitalia, in which Trenitalia was for the first time contracted to provide free bicycle transport on all Ligurian Regional trains. The only Regional trains in Liguria which now show the bicycle icon are those which cross the border from other Regions, which are paid for by those Regions rather than by Liguria, and which need a bicycle ticket for cross-regional-border journeys. The other Regional trains in Liguria do all carry bicycles.

Reply to: La Spezia ... Trains with Bicycles
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted