We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Portovenere. A full day?

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
689 posts
41 reviews
Portovenere. A full day?

We have two days scheduled with our "home base" in La Spezia. We plan to devote one of the days to visiting Tellaro and Lerici. My question is about the best way to enjoy the other day. I want to spend at least a part of the day in Portovenere.

Which option would you recommend (or would you suggest something entirely different):

1. Visit Portovenere (a.m.) and La Spezia (p.m.) or vice-versa

2. Take boat or bus to Portovenere and spend the entire day there.

3. Take boat or bus to Portovenere and spend the morning, continue via boat to visit one or two towns in Cinque Terre.

Edited: 01 February 2018, 15:57
27 replies to this topic
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
115,266 posts
21. Re: Portovenere. A full day?

Sophie and PWMW bring up very valid points about staying in Portovenere.

You could then enjoy the town in the early morning and evening without day trippers.

And the atmosphere is very different from La Spezia.

Vagabonda

Durham, United...
Destination Expert
for Sorrento
Level Contributor
4,617 posts
39 reviews
22. Re: Portovenere. A full day?

Hi

You lucky people, staying in that hotel which looks great. The video brought back many memories and the pouring of wine in the sun with the sea in the background always looks good but on the second video - it looks fabulous! It was many years ago when we were there and I think it's time to go back.

Eddie

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
50,102 posts
89 reviews
23. Re: Portovenere. A full day?

A long time for us too, but remember vividly,

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
115,266 posts
24. Re: Portovenere. A full day?

Basing in Portovenere also saves one day of transport, so you would enjoy more time there.

Vagabonda

Fuengirola, Spain
Level Contributor
80 posts
9 reviews
25. Re: Portovenere. A full day?

Hello All

I have read all the thread and have taken some good pointers from it. We will be arriving in La Spezia on Tues 13 Nov on a cruise ship from 07:00 to 20:00 - a nice long day. My question is about the weather - will the weather be too chilly, too windy, too rough for a lovely boat trip to see the Portovenere? Thanks

La Spezia, Italy
Destination Expert
for La Spezia, Porto Venere, Lerici
Level Contributor
3,795 posts
42 reviews
26. Re: Portovenere. A full day?

There will be no ferries running so unless you can arrange a private boat then you will have to take the 11P bus to see Portovenere

Fuengirola, Spain
Level Contributor
80 posts
9 reviews
27. Re: Portovenere. A full day?

Thank you for your reply. But what about the weather in mid November? Is it normally calm enough and not too windy for a boat trip? Thanks

Reply to: Portovenere. A full day?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted