We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recent experience on the Genoa (excellent) ferry to barcelon

Highland Beach...
3 posts
Save Topic
Recent experience on the Genoa (excellent) ferry to barcelon

The previous posts on this ferry(Excellent) were all negative. We were planning to go this way as the plane times to Barcelona are very limited. We are going from Cinque Terre and figured it would be a fun way to travel. We would splurge for an upgraded cabin. The reviews are a couple of yrs old and caution to stay away from this ferry company as the ferry is old and dirty. Any recent positive experiences or have people still have negative experiences. Thank you!

8 replies to this topic
Italy
Level Contributor
6,328 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Recent experience on the Genoa (excellent) ferry to barcelon

Lets put things in perspective.

In the time the ferry takes you could take the train to Rome. Have short day in the city. Head to the airport and fly to Barcelona.

It would be quicker and likely cheaper.

No I'm not suggesting going to Rome but if you don't like the flight times out of Genoa there are plenty of other airports in Italy.

Check Pisa to BCN (Ryanair I think) Check Florence to BCN (Vueling) Check Milan (Bergamo I guess Ryanair) and Bologna.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
30,213 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Recent experience on the Genoa (excellent) ferry to barcelon

The most convenient flights are by Vueling, from Pisa to Barcelona (most days of the week) and from Genoa to Barcelona (less frequently). The Ryanair flights from Pisa to Girona are often at better times and are daily. Girona is one hour or so by bus from Barcelona.

From Milan, four or five different airlines provide frequent cheap direct flights to Barcelona. See https://www.skyscanner.net/ - but buy direct from the relevant airline's website not form any third party agent.

Highland Beach...
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Recent experience on the Genoa (excellent) ferry to barcelon

Thank you for the info. We thought the ferry would be an experience but not if its a nasty one, and I have not read any current positive reviews. Well go back to looking into flights.

Highland Beach...
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Recent experience on the Genoa (excellent) ferry to barcelon

Thank you for the information! We found a flight with Ryanair at a reasonable time from Pisa to grona airport. We booked on a third party site before I read your post. What pitfalls should we be aware of? I will try to confirm with the airline directly as I had not seen this flight posted on their site and my husband assumed maybe the travel site buys up blocks of tickets to sell. I will look forward to reading your reply and any suggestions you may have.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,273 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recent experience on the Genoa (excellent) ferry to barcelon

www.vueling.com fly Florence to Barcelona

Trains from any Cinque Terre village to Florence www.trenitalia.com/tcom-en

Airport bus from Florence train station

Barcelona airport bus to Placa Catalunya www.aerobusbcn.com

Barcelona airport Taxi 35 euro

www.barcelonaturisme.com

Italy
Level Contributor
6,328 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Recent experience on the Genoa (excellent) ferry to barcelon

Girona isn't Barcelona. You'll need to take the bus into the city. Ryanair has a nasty habit of calling nearby airports by the city name. It's safer to use the airport code.

Ryanair also doesn't like third party bookings. Hopefully everything will be fine but if there is a problem Ryanair won't help.

Boca Raton, Florida
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Recent experience on the Genoa (excellent) ferry to barcelon

Thank you all for the useful info!! I was able to book directly with Ryanair after a difficult, time consuming encounter with One Travel booking. (Read all the negative reviews)it was a costly mistake but a valuable travel experience. I never did hear from anyone that recently went on the ferry so I am glad we changed back to flying!!!

Boca Raton, Florida
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Recent experience on the Genoa (excellent) ferry to barcelon

FYI. The name of the ferry was Excellent NOT the experience!

Reply to: Recent experience on the Genoa (excellent) ferry to barcelon
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted