We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booked train tickets on line - assistance please

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
522 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Booked train tickets on line - assistance please

I just booked our train tickets online for Rapallo to Nice. We received our tickets by email and both tickets have the name of the payor on them. I added both our names and email addresses when ordering the tickets but now we have two tickets in my husband's name. Unfortunately I purchased the reduced tickets with no changes. Are we ok with both tickets in my husband's name? It is a regional ticket to Genova and it states that the ticket has to have the correct name on it. Not sure why they issued the tickets like this.

Can anyone give me some direction on this? Thanks so much.

9 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,238 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Booked train tickets on line - assistance please

Nobody checks names on trains. It is usual for tickets to have only the name of the person who purchased them.

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
522 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Booked train tickets on line - assistance please

Thank you for that sydneynick. I've been reading too many posts of people getting fined on the trains for one reason or another.

This is our first time to Europe so trying to get a clear idea of how to go about all this without any wrinkles.

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
522 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Booked train tickets on line - assistance please

More questions on these tickets that I purchased on line please. I note that we arrive Genova Principe at 12:46 on a Regional train and have to catch the EuroCity at 12:58. My question is, do the regional trains run on time or are they known to be late? The next train to Nice from Genova is at 4:58 pm. If we miss the 12:58 train is our ticket still good for the 4:58 train or do we need to repurchase?

I have looked all over the Trenitalia website but they don't address this. Thanks very much.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,238 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Booked train tickets on line - assistance please

Regionale trains have frequent stops and can be delayed if many people get off and on. If the Regionale is delayed and you miss the onward train, you have to go to the ticket office to get your ticket changed to the next train.

Where did you buy your tickets? There are no trains in Italy that the train company calls EuroCity. The direct trains from Genoa to Nice are called Thello.

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
522 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Booked train tickets on line - assistance please

Hi again sydneynick. The train is a Thello but it shows as the EuroCity 144 on the ticket. I purchased online from Trenitalia.com.

When they say the tickets are good for 4 hours, does that mean I have 4 hours to jump on a train or 4 hours to complete my travel?

I think to be safe I will go to a ticket office when I'm there and just change the regional portion they sold me to an earlier time .

Thanks.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
30,221 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Booked train tickets on line - assistance please

Possibly bought from Italiarail, which calls Thello trains EuroCities, rather than from Trenitalia.

Your question about free rebooking is a slightly grey area, as this is a Thello train rather than a Trenitalia train. But as Trenitalia now own 100% of Thello (they've bought out the French company which previously owned 50%), and as your connection time is more than the ten minutes minimum required by Trenitalia at this station, they should rebook you free onto the 16.58 if you miss your connection entirely because of a delayed Regional train. In the event of such a late arrival, get the train conductor to endorse your ticket with the arrival time before proceeding to the booking office.

If you want to minimise risk, you could pay separately for an earlier train from Rapallo to Genova Piazza Principe. But unfortunately the train before yours is an Intercity train with the higher cost of €8.50 each, and it will be very galling to be standing on the platform and watch the train you'd already paid for pull in on time!

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
522 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Booked train tickets on line - assistance please

This is the website I purchased from: http://www.trenitalia.com/tcom-en

Thank you perilizia. That is good information to have and I am definitely going to make my way to the Principe station a little earlier. It's unfortunate that when you book the full route they don't give you the option of choosing your connections. However, having booked early, we got a very cheap price so not a big deal to buy separate fare to Genova. By the way, we decided to spend 3 days in Genova before heading to Rapallo. I can't wait to be there.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
30,221 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Booked train tickets on line - assistance please

That's intriguing. Trenitalia calls Thello trains Thello on its website. I assume the term EuroCity is on the ticket itself. Enjoy your trip.

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
522 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Booked train tickets on line - assistance please

Yes, perilizia, it is on the ticket itself only.

Reply to: Booked train tickets on line - assistance please
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted