We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train trip to Finale Ligure after transatlantic flight?

Ohio
Level Contributor
280 posts
152 reviews
Save Topic
Train trip to Finale Ligure after transatlantic flight?

Ok- So I can see that in order to get to Finale Ligure around noon on a Friday I would need to taxi over to Genova Piazza Principle and then take the thello to FL. Here is my questions- after almost having our luggage stollen ( falling a sleep on the way- not smart I know) on the train from Naples to Sorrento a few years back -is the train trip from Genoa to FL doable after a long flight?? Would it be smarter to hire a car ? I know the price is high but I just don't want to be unwise.

Is there a reputable transfer company in Genoa to contact for an estimate?

Thank you

5 replies to this topic
CA
Level Contributor
8,150 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train trip to Finale Ligure after transatlantic flight?

A tax maybe €80, fixed rate. Train from Genova PP about an hour.

CA
Level Contributor
8,150 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train trip to Finale Ligure after transatlantic flight?

That was from GOA.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
30,222 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Train trip to Finale Ligure after transatlantic flight?

If you want a fixed rate taxi, you'll need to book in advance. And €80 sounds cheap. Calculating this on the Genoa taxi website http://5966.it/preventivi-online gives €122.

By train at that time, certainly your best bet is the 12.58 Thello from Genova Piazza Principe, taking 43 minutes. You could take the 12.30 Volabus from the airport to the train station, but a taxi might feel more secure time-wise.

Ohio
Level Contributor
280 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train trip to Finale Ligure after transatlantic flight?

Thank you both. I like the train idea but am worried about the luggage and being able to safeguard things after a transatlantic flight. We might end up with the taxi just to be safe.

Can't wait to be in Italy once again.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
30,222 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Train trip to Finale Ligure after transatlantic flight?

The changes of having your luggage stolen if you fall asleep appear to me to be considerably higher on the line from Naples to Sorrento than on the Thello train to Finale Ligure.

Sorrento has very cheap, very crowded local trains, stopping at every single station on the line so thieves can easily escape, and is known to be used pickpoclets taking advantage of foreign tourists. The Thello train is an expensive international express train with compulsory seat reservations provided with every ticket, and it calls at only one station (Savona) between Genoa and Finale LIgure.

Reply to: Train trip to Finale Ligure after transatlantic flight?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted