We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marriage Proposal

3 posts
1 review
Marriage Proposal

I plan to propose to my girlfriend when we are in Cinque Terre. I was planning on waiting until we are there and waiting for the right moment but I'm looking for recommendations on somewhere with a gorgeous setting. Somewhere with no crowds which I know might be difficult. I would appreciate some ideas oh and no restaurants please.

10 replies to this topic
Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
14,248 posts
172 reviews
1. Re: Marriage Proposal

Maybe on one of the high hiking trails when you find a great view and no people.

California
Level Contributor
12,607 posts
56 reviews
2. Re: Marriage Proposal

when is this?

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
418 posts
35 reviews
3. Re: Marriage Proposal

Someplace where if you drop the ring it won't get lost. I was so nervous I dropped the ring but caught it before it went down a grate. Learn from my mistake.

Congrats. What a beautiful place to ask. I hope you have a happy life together.

3 posts
1 review
4. Re: Marriage Proposal

We will be there at the start of October so maybe won't be as crowded as the summer months. I was thinking on one of the hiking trails where we have an area to ourselves.

California
Level Contributor
12,607 posts
56 reviews
5. Re: Marriage Proposal

October is certainly better than the peak high season months (we went during last week Sept.2011) yet do expect some crowds. Perhaps check to see when the cruise ships dock....I'd avoid those days. Congratulations!

Cinque Terre, Italy
Destination Expert
for Cinque Terre, Monterosso al Mare, Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
1,892 posts
89 reviews
6. Re: Marriage Proposal

Hike from Monterosso towards Levanto, you arrive first in an old church (san antonio) and structure (used as a stoplight for boats coming in and out of the gulf at one time) - its flat, paved, and a lovely spot for a picnic with a breathtaking view over the whole gulf. We call this place the "semaforo" (the stoplight). I'd do it here :)

Pop a bottle of prosecco in your backpack and you are set!

Cruise shippers almost never hike, so you would be fine on any of the hiking trails, this is one of the more tranquil ones.

Another nice idea might be to go up to the convento on top of the mountain between the old and new towns of Monterosso - it's an easy walk with paved stairs, got a beautiful view and in front of the convento is a very special spot of locals, we call it "paradiso". It's quiet and very special.

You can also ask here if the weather isn't ideal for hiking :)

Edited: 06 September 2018, 09:36
3 posts
1 review
7. Re: Marriage Proposal

Thank you very much for your suggestions much appreciated

Level Contributor
6 posts
9 reviews
8. Re: Marriage Proposal

Rayo Verde Boat Tour will take you to an excluded area at sunset, aqua water, no crowds. Contact Dario Rayo Verde Tour

Level Contributor
6 posts
9 reviews
9. Re: Marriage Proposal

Hike from Monterrosso to Vernazza has incredible views. Another nice location is in Riomaggiore at the start of the via dell'amore hike (the lovers trail). There is a large porch type of place overlooking the coast

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
114,530 posts
10. Re: Marriage Proposal

My first two thoughts were of that stunningly beautiful view back to Vernazza from the Vernazza-Monterosso path, and also the rocks at Manarola.

The links aren't working on this thread, but these two exact spots were discussed here.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g18781…

And congrats!

Vagabonda

Edited: 06 September 2018, 19:18
Reply to: Marriage Proposal
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cinque Terre