We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking around Cinque Terre - Late May

Seattle, Washington
2 posts
Save Topic
Hiking around Cinque Terre - Late May

My husband and I are planning on visiting the Cinque Terre in late May 2019 as part of our Italy trip.

When researching where we wanted to go in Italy, we saw the beautiful cliff sides, colorful towns and hiking trails that linked all the towns together and we knew we had to add this area to our trip.

We will be in the Cinque Terre area for a total of 3 nights and would love to get some recommendations on what trails to take while we are there.

My husband and I are very active, we camp, hike and backpack as much as we can in the PNW. We will be bringing trail running shoes or a light hiking shoe with us. We are looking for some more difficult, less traveled hikes/trails to take.

Also, would you recommend staying in one town and then hiking/taking a train to the other towns or staying in three different towns while we are there?

Thanks for your help!

7 replies to this topic
Virginia
Level Contributor
4,323 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiking around Cinque Terre - Late May

Definitely pick one town, all are linked by frequent train line, ferries, trails.

I have to warn you as a nature lover that the CT is very very popular and it can be quite crowded. Since you like more strenuous trails, that should help a lot!

See the official website for trial info. You will want to do the upper trails, and you will note some of the trails are closed, check before your trip, as a rainy spring can cause landslides and closures.

parconazionale5terre.it/Esentieri-outdoor.php

BC, Canada
Level Contributor
99 posts
310 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiking around Cinque Terre - Late May

The main advice is to totally ignore the lower trails that you need the pass to walk through. They are crowded and don’t fit what you have stated.

For the upper trails, look for the ones that have the least traversing, as once you get to the top, it flattens out and can be a bit "boring" if you are walking on a flatter forest road.

If you are into trail running, we consistently see runners when you go up from Monterosso towards Levanto and, at the top, turn right as if you were going over to Saviore. That area is perfect for running and you can go to Saviore and then down to Vernazza or keep going, or turn left and go down an alternate trail to Levanto. Very low usage up there. Another good running one is to Portovenere from riomaggiore. Go up to the church and head over from there. Beautiful scenery.

I have never been able to find proper elevation maps for the trails but, conceptually, if you are looking at the trail maps, the trails that go straighter up will, generally, be steeper simply because the entire area goes from sea level up to the upper mountain tops. Those trails are also less used, of course. The only times in the past that we have been unsatisfied with our decisions for a trail would be if we accidentally get stuck traversing on the road/Highway.

All of the trails are beautiful and, for us, it is all about avoiding the crowds during the day. If you go up high you will get a good workout going up, see beautiful areas, go through tiny villages or churches, and get a knee workout going down. There are virtually no mistakes to be made unless you go on the highly used trails and are stuck behind a slow group or a mega traffic jam.

BC, Canada
Level Contributor
99 posts
310 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiking around Cinque Terre - Late May

One more piece of advice. A day doesn’t go by, when we are there, when someone doesn’t say "I heard the trails are closed" or "we couldn’t hike because the trails are closed".

They will *always* be talking about the lower ones as those are the only ones that they "close" with little gates, other than the obvious landslides, trail maintenance, dangerous conditions etc. for the other trails.

Go about your merry way and hike to your hearts content unless conditions are dangerous. And you don’t need to buy the trail pass unless you are using the lower trails.

Israel
Level Contributor
185 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiking around Cinque Terre - Late May

I have blogged three days in Cinque Terre with hikes and boat trips. Google "Time4travel4less" and you will get detailed reports of the hikes we did from my blog.... All in all, we did three hikes (the more difficult ones) and loved them. May is a perfect time of year for hiking. We did it in late April!

Level Contributor
2 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hiking around Cinque Terre - Late May

Definitely stay in one town and take the Cinque Terre train to the other towns. It’s easy and the towns are close by via train. It is very busy in the Spring with hikers.

Seattle, Washington
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hiking around Cinque Terre - Late May

Thank you for all your advice! This is exactly the kind of information I was hoping to get.

Israel
Level Contributor
185 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hiking around Cinque Terre - Late May

We did quite a few hikes during our four days in Cinque-Terre. Look at my blog that details each hike we did. Time4Travel4less.com

Have an amazing trip. It is gorgeous

Reply to: Hiking around Cinque Terre - Late May
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cinque Terre