We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to stay

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
28 posts
161 reviews
Save Topic
Best place to stay

Where is the best place to base oneself for 3 days to explore Cinque Terre and it’s surroundings? Is 3 days enough?

8 replies to this topic
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
33,453 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place to stay

Trains connect the villages making it easy to get around www.incinqueterre.com

Accommodation www.booking.com

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
97,119 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place to stay

It does not matter much where you stay. The local train stops at all the villages and gets from Riomaggiore to Monterosso in about 15 minutes. Corniglia is at the top of the cliffs, and a long way up from its train station. The other villages have the train station in the village. Monterosso is the largest village, and the only one with a proper beach. Vernazza is probably the most pretty.

BC, Canada
Level Contributor
99 posts
310 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place to stay

The previous posts are accurate. If you have some specific criteria, it may be possible to have a "best place".....other than that, we all have our favourites. We like Monterosso because of the great choices of restaurants, the beaches, and great vibe. But the other villages are wonderful also. They each have their positives and negatives.

And no, three days is not enough.

Perth
Level Contributor
68 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place to stay

I agree with the other posts above too. We stayed in Monterosso for 5 nights (4 full days) and it was about right for us. We would stay there again ahead of the other villages just because of the beach and the choice of restaurant and bars. There were so many cool places to have a meal or a drink. Our favourite was Torre Aurora on the point between the old and new town. Great food, great staff, great views and a really relaxed feel. Prices were okay too!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
28 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best place to stay

Thank you! I plan on walking from one village to another that’s why I need some advice on how to proceed. I have no idea how long will I have to walk to get from one to the other. Will I need a day pass? If I do, what does a day pass include? Thanks!

Perth
Level Contributor
68 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best place to stay

We walked from Monterosso to Venazza in about 1 hour and 40 minutes. After a swim in Vernazza we walked from there to Corniglia in about 1 hour and twenty minutes I think. We didn't go onto Manarola because the inland walk is quite long from what we were told and the heat was too much! I'd recommend walking early or late to avoid the heat of the day.

BC, Canada
Level Contributor
99 posts
310 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best place to stay

You only need the pass for the lower, busy trails. We avoid those. Totally.

Israel
Level Contributor
185 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best place to stay

We actually stayed in Levanto, one village away from Monterosso. A little less crowded and very close to Cinque Terre. Highly recommend. There is also a fantastic walk from the Levanto to Monterosso. In our opinion, it was the best of all of the hikes we did. Have a look at my blog for details time4travel4less.com

Enjoy... it is a gorgeous part of Italy

Reply to: Best place to stay
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted