We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying in Manarola and Taking the Train

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Staying in Manarola and Taking the Train

We are staying in Manarola for several nights in the beginning of September and I am a little confused as to what to do regarding taking the trains. We are taking the train from Pisa and planned to spend the first day entirely in Manarola and not get a 5T card/pass for at least that day. However, I've read that there's no ticket office nor ticket machine at Manarola. We're also not sure that we even want to buy the 5T train card but if we do decide to for the following days, is there also no place to purchase the 5T train card when in Manarola? It seems from what I've read that we can't buy regional tickets ahead of time anymore either (say in La Spezia station a couple days beforehand). The only solution I've come up with is to perhaps buy regional tickets online for each day that we want to use the trains or does anybody know of any other way to get train tickets when in Manarola? Thanks so much for any help in advance!

9 replies to this topic
Turin
Level Contributor
9,518 posts
1 review
1. Re: Staying in Manarola and Taking the Train

> we can't buy regional tickets ahead of time anymore either

You can get all train tickets up to 180 days in advance, either at the station or online or at tobacconists. When you purchase tickets for Regionale trains locally (i.e. not on the web) you are asked to pick a day of travel; not a specific train and/or an hour of departure.

Edited: 10 August 2018, 20:08
Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
2. Re: Staying in Manarola and Taking the Train

I read from another thread that for Liguria, if you buy the tickets in person, they are only valid for that day, and for 75 mins after being validated. Could I buy a few arbitrary 5T train tickets say in La Spezia the day we arrive for the following 2 days? However, we are not sure how many trains we would be taking which days - for example, I might buy two tickets ahead of time but only end up needing one ticket for that day.

CA
Level Contributor
11,366 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: Staying in Manarola and Taking the Train

The only two-day periods in early September without cruise ships in port are 6-7, 9-10 and 17-18. There are not three consecutive days. When they are in port you would want not to be on trains from approximately 10am to 5pm.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
4. Re: Staying in Manarola and Taking the Train

I didn't check this beforehand but luckily enough, we are staying in Manarola the 9th, 10th, and 11th.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
33,013 posts
5. Re: Staying in Manarola and Taking the Train

According to the Trenitalia website (Italian section only) there is now a ticket machine in Manarola. Local train tickets can also be purchased from the Tourist Information Office at the train station. And of course online if you have a smartphone.

CA
Level Contributor
11,366 posts
3 reviews
6. Re: Staying in Manarola and Taking the Train

On the 11th there are two in port, something you can plan around.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
7. Re: Staying in Manarola and Taking the Train

Thanks so much for the information! So in case other ones like Corniglia still don't have a ticket office/machine, I can buy train tickets from the tourist office there as well?

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
33,013 posts
8. Re: Staying in Manarola and Taking the Train

Yes.

Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
157 posts
9. Re: Staying in Manarola and Taking the Train

How can I find out about the cruise ship dates? I will be there Oct 2 & 3, 2018? Thanks

Reply to: Staying in Manarola and Taking the Train
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted