We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cinque Terre or Amalfi Coast for One Night

Edmonton, Canada
4 posts
Save Topic
Cinque Terre or Amalfi Coast for One Night

My husband and I are planning to go to Italy first week of September 2018 for our anniversary and we'll be staying in Rome. We have about 10 days. Part of the plan is visit either Cinque Terre or Amalfi Coast so I'm wondering which one is better to visit. We are taking the train from Rome and would like to stay overnight in either places. We'd like to go swimming and relax in the beach, and walk around town for some sight seeing. Any recommendations?

9 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
2,225 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cinque Terre or Amalfi Coast for One Night

Not really advisable to visit Amalfi Coast (or CT) for one night. Look into the travel involved to get to these places from Rome. AC can certainly be done (fast train to Naples and then private transfer to AC or fast train to Salerno and ferry to AC) but you will only have a day there.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
10,627 posts
517 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cinque Terre or Amalfi Coast for One Night

Honestly, it cannot be relaxing for one night and, IMO, a complete waste of time. When will you gots the beach? You do jot even have one full day in either place. Either add more time to your holiday or split your ten days in such a way that you would have four nights on the Amalfi Coast.

Edmonton, Canada
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cinque Terre or Amalfi Coast for One Night

We're planning to leave Rome around 6 or 7 am on a Monday then leave CT/AC the following day, Tuesday, at 3 pm. We're not planning to go hiking or tour the whole place. Just go swimming and chill by the beach. If we stay for two days, would that be better? Which has nicer beaches between the two?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
42,835 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cinque Terre or Amalfi Coast for One Night

Look at some youtube videos, your guidebook and google images to see what they are both like - www.positano.com has info on all of the Amalfi Coast villages

One of the issues with a one night stay, which would have to be booked in advance is that you don't know what the weather will be like - it can be rainy, even at that time of year. When I go to the AC, I always go for about a week (though I know not everyone wants to do that) but that way, I figure I will have a better shot at some good weather -

Both are far from Rome - It will take about 4 hours to reach whatever village you choose on the AC (best way that time of year is the train to Salerno then ferry to the village - the coastal road is packed to the brim with huge tour buses, etc and is a misery all around) - the ferries are a great way to enjoy the sight of the villages and it is stress-free

CT villages are tinier than the AC villages - they do have a train that runs between them if the hiking paths are closed - the train only takes about 5 minutes between each.

A good guidebook will also fill in with some info - logistical and otherwise.

If choosing either - crazy as it may seem - book as soon as you decide (I'm not altogether sure that you can book just one night on the AC given it is very much high season then but you may be able to do so) -

cheshire, england
Level Contributor
6,068 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cinque Terre or Amalfi Coast for One Night

Bear in mind that even if you leave Rome really early, it’s unlikely you would be able to check into your room in CT or AC until around 2pm-ish.

Two nights would certainly be better than one - but even then, imho, it’s a lot of time, expense and effort for very, very little relaxation time.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
10,627 posts
517 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cinque Terre or Amalfi Coast for One Night

If you book two nights, at least you will have one whole day. How about stretching it to three??

Edmonton, Canada
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Cinque Terre or Amalfi Coast for One Night

Thank you for your insights. I did find youtube videos with people doing a day trip and one night stay in CT and AC. Looks like it will work for us. Nways, we're used to doing a day trip from Edmonton to Banff (4-5 hours drive) so I think the train ride from Rome to CT/AC should be fine. I just need to purchase train tickets in advance.

CA
Level Contributor
8,812 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cinque Terre or Amalfi Coast for One Night

If you want a beach experience, head directly to Sperlonga from FCO, the Leonardo Express to the Roma Termini Station and a train:

curiouscatexpat.com/gallery-sperlonga-italy/

Edmonton, Canada
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Cinque Terre or Amalfi Coast for One Night

Thank you @Francophool. We'll consider your suggestion, much closer to Rome and can be done in one day :-)

Reply to: Cinque Terre or Amalfi Coast for One Night
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted