We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bologna

melbourne
Level Contributor
114 posts
Bologna

I wanted to stay four days in Bologna, but can only get the hotel I wanted for two nights. We are on our way to Rome by train, so is there another spot on the way to Rome by train to find and fill in the other two nights. I don't really want to stay at another hotel in Bologna for those two nights. Thanks

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
4,034 posts
1. Re: Bologna

Where are you coming from? Venice? Milan? Do you want the two nights after Bologna or before?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
33,634 posts
17 reviews
2. Re: Bologna

There is Florence www.visitflorence.com or Orvieto www.orvietoviva.com

www.italia.it/en/home.html

Accommodation www.venere.com www.bed-and-breakfast-in-italy.com

Trains www.trenitalia.com Click on the UK flag for current train times, enter 08 as train departure time

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
97,640 posts
17 reviews
3. Re: Bologna

The fast trains from Bologna to Rome have only one stop along the way, at Florence.

melbourne
Level Contributor
114 posts
4. Re: Bologna

Thank you, but not interested going to Florence again to stay. Could we drive from Bologna and stay before Florence in a little town and then catch the train to Rome from Florence as we do not want to drive to Rome.

melbourne
Level Contributor
114 posts
5. Re: Bologna

We are coming from Genoa. I thought of Ferrara, but is that back tracking from Bologna, or does it matter how far is it from Bologna?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
97,640 posts
17 reviews
6. Re: Bologna

If you rent a car, there are a number of interesting places that are not far off the route from Bologna to Rome. These include Siena, Cortona, Arezzo, and Assisi. If you are prepared to detour a bit more, you could see Norcia and the amazing upland plateau of the Piano Grande.

You could drop the car at Orvieto and take a train to Rome.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
33,634 posts
17 reviews
7. Re: Bologna

There are some train direct Bologna to Orvieto

Bologna, Italy
Destination Expert
for Bologna
Level Contributor
1,147 posts
174 reviews
8. Re: Bologna

Ferrara is just 30 min from Bologna

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
202 posts
14 reviews
9. Re: Bologna

Take the train from Bologna to Ravenna (45'), it is a wonderful small city, full of history, charme, good food...and with truly amazing roman mosaics. Ferrara could be a good choice as well. When you are finished with Ravenna, take the train back to Bologna and from there the high speed train to Rome.

Enjoy!

JP

www.delightfullyitaly.com

QQ2
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
9,538 posts
24 reviews
10. Re: Bologna

In addition to the train from Bologna to Ravenna, there is a train from Ravenna to Ferrara, so you could do a sort of triangular Bologna-Ravenna-Ferrara (and back to Bologna if you want) trip.