We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Communicating via Skype

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hayden Lake, ID
Level Contributor
22 posts
181 reviews
Save Topic
Communicating via Skype

We are planning a trip to Rome and Sicily with another couple. I have determined that our iPhones will not work in Italy. Has anyone used Skype within Italy on American cell phones? What do we have to do? Have to be in a wifi area?

Any suggestions will. Be appreciated.

Rome
Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Communicating via Skype

Internet and Wifi service is spotty in Italy. There are good places around Rome that will have an open wifi service- one place in particular is the McDonalds near the Spanish Steps. (This location also has a piece of the ancient Aurelian Wall right in the middle of it!) Another place you can go to get wifi is Bulldog Inn on Vittorio Emanuele- I think you have to buy a drink but you are welcome to use their wifi and its empty generally in the afternoons.

As for American phones, you have to make sure your data is off for roaming and just log in under a wifi connection but again it will either work or not and there is usually generally no way of telling. Hope this helps a little.

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
1,026 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Communicating via Skype

There are many options for internet in Rome - and thus connecting via Skype. The two primary WiFi services do require registration... which means you have to have an Italian cell phone number. Even McDonald's is now going to "pre-registering."

We're registered on all these - and McDonald's - so we "drop in" and connect often. That said, there are still many options, including internet cafes and most of these have SKYPE capability. Take a look at this article for more WiFi hot spots in Rome:

http://tinyurl.com/wifi-roma

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,661 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Communicating via Skype

I live in Italy and have Skype on my Android phone and also on my netbook. It works better on my netbook than on the phone, but it's usable on both. My daughter has Skype on an iPad and it works pretty well on that as well.

You can get a Skype account, I believe for a minimum of 10 euros, that will allow you to call normal phone numbers at a cost of less than 5 cents a minute. I also have a Skype subscription for unlimited calls to US numbers. don't know what it costs in the US, but it should be around 15 dollars for three months. You can use it up after you get home and save your calling plan minutes!

4. Re: Communicating via Skype

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 14:41