We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car hire with a visa debit card

London, United...
Level Contributor
86 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Car hire with a visa debit card

Hi everyone I'm after after some advice, has anyone hired a car with a visa debit card instead of a credit card at either of the Rome airports? if so could you let me know the company you used please, I have a credit card but I purposely keep my limits really low, don't trust myself, lol

So would prefer it if I could use my debit card!

Thanks in advance

Downingtown...
Level Contributor
88 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car hire with a visa debit card

You can make an online reservation with Rome Cabs and when you land take money out of the ATM machine and pay them. I did it that way and everything was fine. They were great to deal with and were there on time and chrged me the fare I was quoted. You can find multiple reviews about them on Tripadvisor. I would not hesitate to use them.

http://www.romecabs.com/

Edited: 17 February 2012, 18:34
London, England
Level Contributor
8,164 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car hire with a visa debit card

I rent cars abroad frequently and as far as I know nearly all of them want a credit card and not a debit card. They don't want tot ake the risk that there aren't enough funds to cover the car hire costs.

You will find all the T&Cs in the various car hire websites. I suggest you read them thoroughly and then you won't end up with any nasty shocks.

You can check out comparison websites like travelsupermarket to find the best deals.

London, United...
Level Contributor
86 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Car hire with a visa debit card

Thanks guys

swindon
Level Contributor
5 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car hire with a visa debit card

Sorry if this is too late but i am also looking to hire a car at the end of may from fiumicino airport. I don't have A CREDIT card & avis have assued me that avis in Italy will accept a debit card as long as it is no electron or maestro.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,703 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car hire with a visa debit card

Italian debit cards aren't really distinguished from credit cards. Many credit cards are sort of a hybrid between a credit card and a debit card. For example, I have a credit card that's like a debit card in the sense that the balance is paid automatically from my checking account, but like a credit card in the sense that it's not debited immediately, but only once a month. The merchant is reimbursed whether or not you have funds in the account, and then your bank fines you for the overdraft. These cards can be used to rent a car, and I have even used them for renting cars in the US, where debit cards are generally not accepted for car rentals.

The closest thing we have to a true debit card is an ATM card (called a carta bancomat), which debits your account immediately. These can be used for purchases in shops, but they're not on the credit card circuit, and I doubt they could be used for renting a car.

In short, I have a feeling that a debit card on the Visa or Mastercard circuit would be accepted, because it would be considered the equivalent of our credit/debit cards.

London, England
Level Contributor
8,164 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car hire with a visa debit card

agadooswindon

I would ensure you have it in writing that they will accept the debit card, so you don't have a problem when you arrive.

UK
Level Contributor
3,186 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car hire with a visa debit card

Just make sure that you have sufficient funds in the account to cover both the hire charges and the security deposit plus your spending money. This is because the amounts involved will be blocked/earmarked and therefore unavailable for you to spend during the period of the rental and often, in the case of the security deposit, for some days beyond.

Edited: 05 April 2012, 12:49
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,282 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car hire with a visa debit card

Most will not accept a debit card; the debit card is limited by your funds and the fact that you could withdraw all the money once the transaction is completed. To guard against this they will put a hold on your funds to the limit of the excess (deductible) which can be several thousand dollars. And that hold will remain till at least a few days after you return the car, rather limiting your spending.

If you take out full insurance, including covering the deductible, you may have better luck.

Please be advised that many hotels now require a credit card imprint at check in to safeguard against your trashing the room or drinking all the mini bar. We have had a number of places recently say they will only accept a credit card, not a debit card or Travelmoney card.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,703 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car hire with a visa debit card

I don't know if Modem and Lynn are speaking from experiences in Italy or not. Could you clarify?

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,537 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car hire with a visa debit card

One of the reasons I got a credit card when I got my first job out of college was to be able to rent a car. Withotu a credit card ity was very difficult. I used to use my credit card only when I traveled.