We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

vacation rental or hotel

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
vancouver, b.c.
Level Contributor
296 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
vacation rental or hotel

I plan on spending 10 days in Rome and can't decide on a vacation rental or hotel. I would like something in the Prati, Piazza Navona, or Campo di Fiori districts and maybe Trastevere depending on how far it is from tourist attractions.I am assuming I can walk to the above districts. If i choose a vacation rental I need to be close to supermarkets, delis, bakeries, etc I am travelling solo (58 year old woman). Any suggestions would be helpful.

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
49 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: vacation rental or hotel

For a 10 day stay, I think an apartment is much better suited. Meal times in Rome are pretty strict and eating out by yourself 2-3 times a day for 10 days will get old pretty quick. Rome's historic center is pretty small - in 1/2 hour you can kind of cross it end to end. Staying in Prati will add some time on to that, so if you want a fully pedestrian experience, I'd suggest Trastevere, Campo dei Fiori, Piazza Navona or area around the Pantheon. If you give me dates I can perhaps suggest something more specific as to where to stay.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,399 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: vacation rental or hotel

It's really a matter of personal taste and how independent you are. I myself much prefer hotels, although I rent apartments when traveling with a family group. If you rent an apartment, you'll have to carry a large amount of cash to pay the balance due (usually 2/3) on the rental before you get the key. You have to make an appointment with the keyholder and have a way to notify her if you're running late. You also usually don't have anyone to speak to immediately if there's a problem. And you normally have to do your own housekeeping.

Houston
Level Contributor
1,227 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: vacation rental or hotel

Hotel vs. apartment is a personal choice. It seems the major factor would be self-suffiency. I prefer apartments. I don't need concierge services or housekeeping.

I've rented from two different agencies and had no trouble with either. I never rush the "check-in" process. I make sure I can opperater the appliances - especially if it is a washer/dryer combo machine- open both the street entrance and apatrment doors. Insist on a 24 hour contact number.

There is just something about staying in an apratment that makes me feel more a part of the city as opposed to a transient hotel experience.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
2,063 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: vacation rental or hotel

Hi there

You could try the homelidays website.

Kind Regards

Merran

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,044 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: vacation rental or hotel

For stays of that length, go for an apartment. The extra space, free wifi, washing machine, ability to prepare some food etc win it for me every time. 3-4 days in an hotel is fine, but European hotel rooms are small, there is often nowhere but a bed to sit and I would go stir crazy staying 10 days.

We stayed at Apartment Orbitelli, within walking distance of the Vatican and Campo dei Fiori and it was marvellous. See www.sleepinitaly.com

vancouver, b.c.
Level Contributor
296 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: vacation rental or hotel

Thanks everyone for the advice/suggestions. LindaatTheBee - I was thinking somewhere between Campo dei Fiori and Piazza Navona. I have business to do in the Prati district (via Tibullo 10). My dates would be May 7 - 16. I have stayed in both vacation rentals and hotels before, but I find that the things I want to see and do were done the first week. and the last week I just laze around close to either rental or hotel. A hotel room can get boring at times but so can a vacation rental. Both can drive you stir crazy. As for meals, I would prefer making my own but being catered to is nice also. My ideal place would be a hotel with kitchenette, that way I could have a little of each. I don't know if such a thing exists in Rome.

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: vacation rental or hotel

If the things you want to see and do in Rome are done in a week, you are remarkably efficient. I've spent over 40 weeks in Rome over the years, and I still haven't seen and done everything I want to.

You don't need an in-house restaurant in order not to have to make your own meals. The Campo/Navona area is almost wall-to-wall restaurants and cafes where you can have any meal you like, including breakfast.

Why would you sit in a hotel room or apartment and go stir-crazy in Rome? Go outside, sit in a cafe and people watch,

8. Re: vacation rental or hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 March 2013, 09:23