We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Amalfi and Ravello from Sorrento

N.J.
Level Contributor
492 posts
22 reviews
Getting to Amalfi and Ravello from Sorrento

I'm staying in Sorrento for 5 nights and want to see Positano,Amalfi and Ravello. We'll be 2 coupes. Thinking of doing a private tour for the day, just wondering if taking a boat there is an option, then meeting up with a tour guide there.

Edited: 17 August 2016, 18:42
New York
Level Contributor
1,469 posts
979 reviews
1. Re: Getting to Amalfi and Ravello from Sorrento

I'm a little confused about why someone would want to spend five full days in Sorrento at all, with the additional inclusion of but one -as a day roundtrip- in terms of a much more compelling and involving overall environment.

Edited: 17 August 2016, 18:57
Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
18,150 posts
43 reviews
2. Re: Getting to Amalfi and Ravello from Sorrento

There is a boat from Sorrento to Amalfi at 10:30 AM, arriving at 11:30.

I'm not sure how much of a guide you would need, everything is pretty self-explanatory. You can grab a taxi at Amalfi to take you up to Ravello and another to come back down.

The return ferry departs Amalfi at 4:35 PM (16:35). If you're not ready to return that early you could pay for a taxi or take the coast-to-coast bus.

The last coast-to-coast bus departs at 7:15 PM (19:15). Schedule here: …city-sightseeing.it/orari_coast_to_coast.pdf

Ferry info here: http://www.alicost.it/?page_id=202

Edited: 17 August 2016, 20:33
N.J.
Level Contributor
492 posts
22 reviews
3. Re: Getting to Amalfi and Ravello from Sorrento

It will only be 3 full days, thought one day seeing the Amalfi coast, one day Capri and maybe one day to chill in Sorrento maybe take a cooking class. We are also going to Pompeii on way our way to Rome from Sorrento.

Durham, United...
Destination Expert
for Sorrento
Level Contributor
4,617 posts
39 reviews
4. Re: Getting to Amalfi and Ravello from Sorrento

Hi

Good advice from Elstravels, as usual. However, if you're still interested in a tour with a guide, the Goldentours link may interest you. The guides are usually very knowledgeable, and talk when you're travelling, but leave you alone when you arrive in the villages. The "Amalfi Drive" tour does not stop at Positano. The "Select" one does. If you DIY, you can also get a bus from Amalfi to Ravello, or a coach.

www.goldentours.it/en/daily_excursions.php

sorrentotourism.com/en/ferry-and-jet-service…

sorrento.city-sightseeing.it/eng/percorsi.htm

http://www.sorrentotourism.com/en/index.php

Eddie

N.J.
Level Contributor
492 posts
22 reviews
5. Re: Getting to Amalfi and Ravello from Sorrento

Thank you elstravels and Eddie for your responses. I will look over the links. We were also wondering if we should rent a car and see these area's out our own liesurely pace. Any thoughts on driving there ourselves?

Durham, United...
Destination Expert
for Sorrento
Level Contributor
4,617 posts
39 reviews
6. Re: Getting to Amalfi and Ravello from Sorrento

Hi again

Renting a car is NOT recommended. As soon as you leave Naples Airport in your coach or taxi, I think you'll see why. The traffic is horrendous in the whole area, nowhere to park, almost every car has a dent, constant tooting horns, traffic jams, motor scooters undertaking, overtaking and often driving on the pavements. The Amalfi Drive is a narrow road with a sheer drop at one side and dozens of cars often have to reverse around hairpin bends to let coaches pass.

Eddie

Trearddur
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
7. Re: Getting to Amalfi and Ravello from Sorrento

Suggest u use magicmomentsmore agency superb

York, England...
Level Contributor
313 posts
39 reviews
8. Re: Getting to Amalfi and Ravello from Sorrento

We used the City Sightseeing bus which you can get outside the station. It was definitely the right thing to let someone else do the driving! It's more expensive than a local bus but less expensive, I think, than hiring a driver. You can get off in Positano and Amalfi (if you get off at Positano you have to buy a second ticket but at a discount to get to Amalfi) then it's a really fabulous open top bus to Ravello, I loved that bit! You get a discount on that with your other tickets. The return trip if you get off at Positano in one direction would based on what we paid this May cost about 36 euros (others can correct me if I have worked that out wrong...)

9. Re: Getting to Amalfi and Ravello from Sorrento

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2017, 05:17