We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trenitalia - Timetables needed

Secunda, South...
Level Contributor
122 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Trenitalia - Timetables needed

I always struggle to get timetables on the official site of Trenitalia. What am I doing wrong? I cannot even seem to register because no matter what I do it keeps saying there's a problem with the user ID or then it's the password.....but I use the password they send. Does one have to be registered to get hold of timetables? I urgently need timetables from Florence to Venice for 1 June 2012. Can someone please help?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
87,562 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trenitalia - Timetables needed

There is no need to register on any of the Trenitalia web sites (there are at least 3) in order to see train times or even to buy tickets.

The easiest interface is at www.lefrecce.it but you have to use Italian place names. Look for trains from Firenze Santa Maria Novella to Venezia Santa Lucia.

You could also use www.trenitalia.com/homepage_en.html looking for trains from Florence to Venice. This version of the web site does not show all the prices for a train until you select a train with the radio button at right and then click "Continue".

Edited: 14 May 2012, 23:09
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
32,972 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trenitalia - Timetables needed

I've never been asked for user ID or password to look up timetables on Trenitalia, this is only needed if you want to buy something!

I presume you are putting in Firenze (SMN) and Venezia (Santa Lucia) as station names, rather than attempting to use English?

You might like to try the DB site, as it can be more forgiving, and should be fine for this particular connection - although it doesn't have all local trains: http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

Secunda, South...
Level Contributor
122 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trenitalia - Timetables needed

Thanks you both....hope to get it right now. @qaminari: I haven't even put anything in yet - trying to register was just in the hope of getting something done. Grazie! I appreciate.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trenitalia - Timetables needed

Everyone seems to like the DB site except for me. It asks me too many questions before showing me a timetable. I still prefer the old trenitalia site best:

http://www.trenitalia.com/homepage_en.html

even though it doesn't show you the discounts until you choose a train and click continue. It's got a cleaner layout, and is less confusing, in my opinion.

Secunda, South...
Level Contributor
122 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trenitalia - Timetables needed

Grazie mille. I'll try and try until I get it right......

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trenitalia - Timetables needed

Benvenuta- just put in departure city in the top box and your arrival city in the second box. On the site I indicated, you can use the English version of the city names and you don't need to know the name of the station. If you just want to see the timetables, put in a day in the upcoming week, either a weekday or a Sunday, depending on when you'll be traveling. If you want to buy tickets, put in the actual date and DON'T FORGET to put in the correct time of day!

You can't buy regional train tickets online more than seven days ahead, but those are tickets you shouldn't buy online anyway. Buy those in the station.

You don't need to register, not even to buy the tickets. It couldn't be simpler.

Edited: 16 May 2012, 11:11
Secunda, South...
Level Contributor
122 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trenitalia - Timetables needed

Success! You've been most helpful. I was "stupido" - I don't think I pressed send for I thought it was for buying only & now I understand the block for the timeslot too. I am very impressed now. Thanks a mill.

I have one big worry and will appreciate it if one of you could just check it out if possible, please. On Sunday 3 June 2012 - there does not seem to be a train from Verona Porta Nuova (main station) from about 14:00 in the afternoon - back to Firenze SMN. Is this possible??? What to do? My friends wanted to spend the day in Verona - on the way back to Florence from Venice. Please advise. Appreciate.

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Trenitalia - Timetables needed

I see trains leaving Verona Porta Nuova going to Firenze S. M. Novella all day.

Did you click on "Next Solution" at the bottom?

Secunda, South...
Level Contributor
122 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trenitalia - Timetables needed

Yes, but no direct trains from Verona to Firenze SMN - you have to change. Hope I understand correctly. Thank you so much. Appreciate.

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Trenitalia - Timetables needed

You didn't say direct as far as I can see. So she changes trains. Not what anyone should consider a "big worry."