We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where would it be cheaper to stay in Tuscany

Cape Town
Level Contributor
8 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Where would it be cheaper to stay in Tuscany

My husband and I will be in Italy for only a week and have a tight budget. We want to stay somewhere and use it as a base to see some of the wonderful places in Tuscany. Would it be cheaper to stay in Florence? Or would you recommend any of the surrounding towns as particularly good value for money?

north carolina
Level Contributor
6,552 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where would it be cheaper to stay in Tuscany

It would probably be more expensive to stay in Florence, perhaps much more expensive.

There are many smaller towns of interest that might be good depending on what you want.

I would just name a few of many possibilities: Castellina, Radda, Gaiole, Lucca, Cortona, Arezzo; but there are so many that it is probably silly of me to name just a few.

You should buy two guide books - your book store probably has a dozen on Tuscany - and find some things that look interesting to you. Then make yourself settle down to 4 or 5 candidates and start looking for accommodations. I presume you will fly in somewhere (Pisa?) and rent a car for 6-7 days, and drive to the town of your choice, so factor that driving time into the decision, too.

Given your 4,5 candidate towns then check reviews in T/A and Venere.com. Also search on "Townname accommodations" and you will find many intriguing places. It might help to know that my experience has been that the Italian accommodations' web sites have almost always (99% of the time) been fair and reasonable representations of what they actually have when you get there.

I am thinking about your question only from a cost view point, but please understand that Florence is my favorite place in the world, and there are many good reasons to stay there, too. We (herself and I) would not want to change locations in the middle of a week visit - too much lost time.

If you come back to us with a little more information about how much you want to spend, then you will get a great deal more ideas.

Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,256 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where would it be cheaper to stay in Tuscany

We've stayed in some small towns in Tuscany and found some inexpensive lodging. The small towns are much easeir to drive into and out of also.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
8 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where would it be cheaper to stay in Tuscany

Thanks for the excellent advice Roadgard. We will most likely fly into Florence.

I have heard through this site that it is cheaper to travel by train around Italy so we weren't planning on hiring a car. Do you think this is a mistake?

Our budget is looking like 70-80 Euros on accommodation per day. I have found some apartment rentals but it seems that you can't take less than a week. We were hoping to stay somewhere for 5 nights and then go to Rome for 2 nights and fly out from Rome.

Thanks for the list of towns. I will be looking around for somewhere there.

north carolina
Level Contributor
6,552 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where would it be cheaper to stay in Tuscany

Train travel is certainly cheap, excellent, right way to go, whenever they go where you want. Also the bus service is just about as good, so don't ignore that.

The issue on train service is the question of where the station is. Sometimes, the station might be five miles away from where you want to stay, although sometimes the hosts will be able to pick you up, perhaps a small fee.

i think the way to handle that issue is to find a few places that appeal to you, and then e-mail them and ask about the convenience of the train/bus terminals. 70-80 euro per night for accommodations may be a bit of a squeeze, maybe not, and it may depend on when you want to go. It might be important to consider your desired time of the trip. Some times, like perhaps November-March may be lower priced.

But consider this: do not be deterred by what the web site says about price or minimum stay, except in high season.

In the rest of the year it is perfectly reasonable to tell the host when you need to stay, for how long, and what you want to pay. i do that regularly, there has never been the slightest sign of any umbrage because I made an offer, some times, not always, we get a better and more convenient deal by doing that. The inn-keepers are reasonable business people, they will be happy to communicate with you.

But please, this question: how do you propose to get around to see other places without a car? If you get into one town and stay there for 5 nights, then perhaps a slightly larger place, Lucca, Siena, Montepulciano, might be better.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
24,497 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where would it be cheaper to stay in Tuscany

there is no substitute for a car if you want to tour Tuscany -- if you confine yourself to major towns like Lucca, Florence, Siena etc then you can manage by bus or train but the beauty of Tuscany is in the countryside and the best places are reached by car

Cape Town
Level Contributor
8 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where would it be cheaper to stay in Tuscany

Thanks so much people! I think a car would be better.

We are going in peak season (end June beginning of July) and cannot change this so we will have to stretch our budget to accommodate the price of everything.

Can you tell me the average cost of car rentals per day? I have received one quote for about 40euros per day. Does that sound reasonable?

north carolina
Level Contributor
6,552 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where would it be cheaper to stay in Tuscany

If you can get a suitable car for 40 per day, then that is pretty good.

It might also be worthwhile to think about renting the car for 1,2,3 days after your get to your chosen town, Train in/Train out, rental car when you like.

Most of the rental car companies can tell you where you can rent a car - or else do a search on "town name rental car"

Edited: 12 January 2012, 21:00
Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
7,594 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where would it be cheaper to stay in Tuscany

You might also, consider in Umbria and traveling into Tuscany for day trips. It would be less $$. Look at Villa Zuccari in Montefalco. Charming and an easy in and out.

Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,256 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where would it be cheaper to stay in Tuscany

Be sure the rental includes any insurance you may need. Also, you'll need an IDP, International Driver's Permit.

10. Re: Where would it be cheaper to stay in Tuscany

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 March 2013, 10:21