We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is This Itinerary Wayyyy Too Relaxed?

Which Italy hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bombay, India
Level Contributor
380 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Is This Itinerary Wayyyy Too Relaxed?

My original itinerary for 16 nights in Italy, this September, reads as below:

Venice – 5 Nights (with side trip to Verona / Lake Town?)

Tuscany – 5 Nights (in Montepulciano, driving to Pienza, Montalcino, San G, Siena, Chianti Region etc)

Rome – 6 Nights (side trip undecided)

We are young, but slow travellers. We holiday once a year and do not like to rush around & wind up exhausted, under-slept, ticking sights off a must-be-done list. We also the ‘slowly savouring’ sort, who enjoy / pay attention to detail, so to speak. Or perhaps, we are just inherently lazy! ; )

But I am constantly second guessing myself! Is this itinerary way too relaxed for a first trip? It is, ofcourse, lovely to fantasize about future trips, but we have much of the world left to see : ) I would love to add Cinque, which my partner is also quite enamoured with. I have left Florence out intentionally, the more I researched it, the more I felt that anything less than 5 or 6 nights here would be sacrilege! Yes, I have this flair for the dramatic! : )

My question, primarily to Italy Vets, is this... Is my itinerary far too relaxed? If you were to design the perfect 16 nights in Italy, how would you do it?

Olympia, Washington
Level Contributor
450 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is This Itinerary Wayyyy Too Relaxed?

You will get nothing but "well done!" from us , but then our three weeks in September is one week in Florence and two weeks on the Tuscan/Umbrian border. We like to travel the way you do, slowly and to savor the moment and the quality of the light.

You sound that you like to travel the way you eat, wherein it is not the quantity that you can wolf down, but the art of relaxing and enjoying a full palate of tastes and textures, quality over quantity. How refreshing and clear headed! Congratulations on what sounds like a wonderful trip full of lasting memories.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
151 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is This Itinerary Wayyyy Too Relaxed?

Same here,do nothing on some of you days except to relax and watch the world go by. You can decide as you go along what extra sights to see.You are good to go.

Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
7,925 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is This Itinerary Wayyyy Too Relaxed?

Congratulations!!! So many post on the forums that they want to go here, and here, and here, and here, and here, and there, but we only have 6 days. Of course they too say they're young and they can do it. Most end up disappointed and tired.

Great job of planning. You'll get a lot out of your trip.

Relax, take Italy in and enjoy. Smell the wine, TASTE the wine!

Spend some time sitting in a piazza over a leisurely cup of coffee, lunch, or glass of wine, and simply enjoy being there and watching the daily life in the piazza.

Wander around and you'll be amazed at what you may discover, wonderful little piazzas, fountains, amazing buildings, etc. You'll love it.

Be sure to take some walks after dinner also; very enjoyable.

Please share your experience when you return.

Edited: 23 March 2011, 23:33
Bombay, India
Level Contributor
380 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is This Itinerary Wayyyy Too Relaxed?

Yay! That’s reassuring... Thank you all... does anyone else have anything to add about my ‘smell all the roses very slowly’ itinerary? : )

Or does anyone want to play devil’s advocate and tell me I’m making a mistake? Anyone who completed a more hectic trip and was very happy with it, in retrospect?

p.s: Mikeryherd, have a great trip! Does it really show quite so clearly how much I savour what I eat?

p.p.s: Jerryott, you make it sound GORGEOUS... I cannot wait to go!

Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
5,507 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is This Itinerary Wayyyy Too Relaxed?

No Devil's Advocate here - there is no such thing as "too relaxed" in Italy! Your trip sounds divine and I wouldn't change a thing!

alaska
Destination Expert
for Siena
Level Contributor
1,259 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is This Itinerary Wayyyy Too Relaxed?

Belissima!

Everyday in our annual trip to Italy is based on where is lunch and where is dinner plus visits to our favorite vinyards.

That being said, we can't help but run into the occaisional church or museum. The place is full of them, its hard to miss them

Somedays our itinery says" coffee in San Angelo Colle or haircut in Siena. Somehow we manage to fill in the rest of the day.

Less is more when it comes to traveling in Italy.

The "only" modication I would suggest is stay in Siena as your base instead of Montepulciano

Olympia, Washington
Level Contributor
450 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is This Itinerary Wayyyy Too Relaxed?

I think, aarya_ss that I was extrapolating more from my own enjoyments in eating rather than guessing at yours. However, I do think that all slow travelers have some of these things in common.

Also, having done some of those "7 Cities/7 days" types of trips in bygone days, I now know better how I wish to travel, as well as what rewards me with the richest of memories and experiences. Enjoy, knowing that at least some of us can happily relate to your vision of what makes a good vacation/trip! Have a lovely time.

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Siena, Montalcino
Level Contributor
3,688 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is This Itinerary Wayyyy Too Relaxed?

aarya_ss,

In Montepulciano consider staying closer to home on day trips, see slowtrav.com/italy/tuscany/hs_planning.htm

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is This Itinerary Wayyyy Too Relaxed?

You sound like an Italy Vet yourself...you are in for a wonderful adventure! And it's hard to believe the word 'museum' wasn't mentioned once in this post...oh, sorry about that.

Bombay, India
Level Contributor
380 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is This Itinerary Wayyyy Too Relaxed?

Alright then!!! This is it, we are keeping it as is... only how will I last until September : ( I wan't to go tonight!

You guys, thank you so very much... How can strangers make you smile this much?