We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

time of year

Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
157 posts
time of year

Two sisters who are young seniors from Canada are planning a three week visit to Italy and hoping to see Venice, Florence (area) and Rome but are open to suggestion. We are thinking of either April or end of Sept adn earlyOct. We would love to hear from anyone on their preferred month for visiting taking into account weather, crowds and costs. Thank you very much!

8 replies to this topic
California
Level Contributor
12,724 posts
56 reviews
1. Re: time of year

hi: i think this link will be super helpful with planning--- https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g18…

With 3 weeks, there is ample time to visit the "big three" as well as take wonderful day trips. But the most important thing is to read...and begin to form what it is you'd like to experience beyond pretty hillsides, good food and small winding streets, as that is nearly everywhere! Perhaps consider Sicily for 2 weeks and then Rome for a week...or create a southern Italy itinerary....take time now to become more familiar.

....the "big three" will be p.a.c.k.e.d. in May and September, so I would suggest October! It's a beautiful month to travel...

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
9,985 posts
141 reviews
2. Re: time of year

April would be less crowded than September as Sept is considered peak time and can still be very hot.

Kalispell, Montana...
Level Contributor
1,891 posts
17 reviews
3. Re: time of year

I would go with april as it will be less crowded and less hot than september. 3 weeks is a wonderful amount of time for those 3 cities (we spent 15 nights in Rome this march and could have easily stayed another 15).

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
22,112 posts
7 reviews
4. Re: time of year

I'd also say April, the countryside will be beautiful then with the spring greens. We were in Puglia for 10 days towards the end of April this year and it was so beautiful. When planning, be aware that 25th April is a public holiday, which affects schedules. 1st May is too.

We were in Venice in early October and noticed that it was busier on the Friday and at the weekend, because of local day-trippers and the Europeans on city-breaks (which typically are "weekend breaks"). We noticed the same in Rome when there one February.

Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
157 posts
5. Re: time of year

Thank you very much everyone. I think we will avoid September and now decide between October and April. Appreciate all your tips!

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
22,112 posts
7 reviews
6. Re: time of year

I have to say that Venice the second week in October was pretty "autumnal" and we had two days with fog so don't leave it too late in October , not least because then acqua alta might kick in. A friend of mine visited Venice one year that same Spanish holiday that we were there (12th October) and had to buy gloves she was so cold!

These cities get visitors all year round, not least with those city-breaks, but I don't think that late September will be so busy. There are no public holidays in Europe then, and fewer cruises too so your original idea of late September/early October sounds good to me. In any case, once you get away from the main sights crowds thin out, even in Venice. We stayed in Canareggio, and apart from the main shopping street it was pretty quiet

7. Re: time of year

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 December 2017, 02:30

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
40,482 posts
18 reviews
8. Re: time of year

I would go in April rather than September. I think the weather is much nicer with it being cooler. I really don't like to travel when it's sweltering outside.

Donna

Reply to: time of year
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted