We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

PAELLA/ARROCES How to reach these places from Valencia?

Which Valencia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
new york
Level Contributor
161 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
PAELLA/ARROCES How to reach these places from Valencia?

I will be visiting Valencia soon and would like to try a sublime rice dish. I understand that these are best enjoyed outside the city proper.

I have the name of two places that sound good and am wondering how to reach these by public transport.

If there is bus, I would like to know the approximate price of a taxi from the center of the city; please comment if you have tried either of these:

La Matendeta in Alfafar http://www.lamatandeta.es/

L'Establiment in El Palmar

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
55,011 posts
3,463 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: PAELLA/ARROCES How to reach these places from Valencia?

Read this thread:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187529-i499-k2162…

new york
Level Contributor
161 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: PAELLA/ARROCES How to reach these places from Valencia?

Thanks you. Unfortunately, I cannot figure out the touristic Bus Website. Do they stop near the two restaurants that I mention above? It is quite pricey, too. When you figure the cost for two persons, I wonder how much more a taxi would be...

There is a public bus line, Autocares Herca, that runs from the city to the south. I cannot figure out if any of their lines would take me close to La Matendeta or L"Establiment.

www.autocaresherca.com/LineasRegulares.aspx

Valencia
Level Contributor
29 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: PAELLA/ARROCES How to reach these places from Valencia?

I know L'Establiment and is to be recommended; good rices in a nice environment with views to the Albufera. The problem is that it is a bit hidden and difficult to get to. The buses to El Palmar will leave you at one of the village; the restaurant is at the other end, in fact outside the village; it is not a big village but I think it should take you at least 15 minutes. The timetable you mention does not look too good. The best way to get there is by car I am afraid.

Yet you do not need to go outside Valencia for a good rice: plenty of good places in town and also some by the beach.

new york
Level Contributor
161 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: PAELLA/ARROCES How to reach these places from Valencia?

Jorge: Mil gracias!

I have just found another place that looks quite good; can I have your opinion on this place? Would Casa Carmina in El Saler be easier to reach than the others?

Do you know how much a taxi would charge to reach El Saler from Valencia?

http://www.casacarmina.es/

Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
24 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: PAELLA/ARROCES How to reach these places from Valencia?

I'm looking to make the same trip. If a taxi is a reasonable option, are they also available after lunch to get back to Valencia?

Valencia
Level Contributor
29 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: PAELLA/ARROCES How to reach these places from Valencia?

I don´t know this restaurant but this is in the village of El Saler, so it is slightly closer to Valencia, easier to reach, and there should be a bus going there that should leave you reasonably close to the restaurant. It is difficult for me two estimate the cost of a taxi to get to these restaurants, other than saying that going to El Establiment and La Matendeta is going to be expensive: it depends on your point of departure in Valencia, but as a ballpark figure I think you should not budget for less than 25 euros each way.

I think your first two restaurants have much better surroundings; the Albufera is really nice, quite striking so close to a big city. A possibility could be to make a day out of it going to El Establiment; take your time, walk in the village (passing by a couple of dozens of more rice restaurants) and take your time back. Have your timetable at hand, consider that there is a longish walk and the last bit is through an unpaved road.,,and above all, if you are going a Saturday or Sunday you should always book (this applies to any of the 3 restaurants you are listing).

Valencia
Level Contributor
29 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: PAELLA/ARROCES How to reach these places from Valencia?

Back again.I have checked the timetables to El Palmar and there are not too good. You´ll be there for hours after lunch. The alternative I think is the more regular and much more expensive tourist bus (more comfortable and more convenient as well).

new york
Level Contributor
161 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: PAELLA/ARROCES How to reach these places from Valencia?

Many thanks, Jorge.

Would the tourist bus take me within 2km of La Matendeta?

Or close to L'Establiment?

Is there a schedule for that tourist bus?

I also saw mention of a "yellow bus" "The Shady" to the beaches, leving from Calle Alicante, near the bullring.

But this probably will not run this month, right?

If I am forced to take the taxi (ouch!), I believe La Matandeta is closer to the city, right?

I was planning to do this excursion on a Friday, but could also go on Thursday... Or Saturday.

I don't mind a walk of about that distance--you can see that we are very keen to explore!

Valencia
Level Contributor
29 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: PAELLA/ARROCES How to reach these places from Valencia?

I am not the best person to answer your questions as I have never been in La Matandeta and I always drive when going to El Palmar. So take what I say with some care. I do not think the tourist bus will leave you close to La Matandeta, it goes to El Palmar and that´s it. It does include a boat trip it appears, but the schedule changes between low and high season. Now in February there are only 3 buses a day, and then not everyday of the week. Later in the year there are many more; you should check with the bus company or the tourist information whether you can leave the bus and join another one later. Not sure about this.

In the map La Matandeta looks to be the closest one to the city, so it should be the cheapest by cab; but again I am not sure.

One thing I am sure though. Much better to do this on Thursday and Friday; weekends can get very busy and if you can avoid them, avoid them.

Ian
Leeds U.K.
Destination Expert
for Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
10,810 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: PAELLA/ARROCES How to reach these places from Valencia?

JorgeValencia: Will be visiting next month, any recommendations for eating in town or at the beach for paella, also small cosy tapas bars, prefer those that are full with just 12 people. Any other advise appreciated.