We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A Gibraltar wedding experience

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
A Gibraltar wedding experience

For anyone thinking of getting married in Gibraltar, I thought I'd write about my experience of doing so.

My now husband and I decided to get married in Gibraltar with just my parents as witnesses as we wanted to do something memorable but didn't want all the hassle and expense of a big wedding at home in England.

We emailed the registry office who sent us all the information you need on how to arrange a ceremony and get married in Gibraltar. We booked our ceremony for Friday 1st October at the registry office.

We flew from Manchester with Monarch and stopped for four nights at the Elliot O'Callaghan hotel (which was very nice, good value for a Gibraltar hotel and in a fantastic central location).

I hadn't been to Gibraltar before but I thought it was great. Before we went we were looking at possible day trips to various places in Spain and to Tangier but we found we had more than enough to do in Gibraltar itself on the three non-wedding days of our trip.

Our wedding itself was lovely. The registry office is a 5 minute walk from the hotel so there's no need for a wedding car. Whilst waiting at the registry office for our 'slot' we saw another British couple who had just got married and a Spanish couple were waiting to get married after us. We really liked the atmosphere of that and were all congratulating each other - but those of you who prefer the idea of exclusivity might want to pick an alternative venue than the registry office.

The room at the registry office where the ceremony can take place is small and not that inspiring (but not awful either) - however, they told us we could request to get married in the registry office garden which is pretty. We did that and, although they warned us that there is traffic noise, I have to say that I didn't really notice it as I was too busy focusing on my vows and my hubby. The garden looks great on our photos too. The registrar was lovely and, whilst you can't personalise your vows, they were happy for us to add in some little personal touches such as my dad walking me into the garden and my mum doing a reading.

After the ceremony we walked to the Botanical Gardens which are 10-15 mins walk away. Lots of people were beeping their horns and calling out congratulations which was nice. The Botanical Gardens is a great spot for photos. After that we headed to the Queensway Marina (10-15 mins walk again) and had a fantastic meal at The Waterfront. We had a table right on the marina and they realised it was our wedding day and sprinkled table confetti and gave us our bubbly cork to keep and were generally just really great. The food was fantastic too. (On that note we had great food generally in Gibraltar and can also recommend 14 on the Quay and Cafe Rojo and the little Moroccon restaurant in the square outside the Elliot hotel).

All in all, I can really recommend a wedding in Gibraltar. For those of you with few or no guests, the registry office itself is great and adds to a fun off-the-cuff feel. And I can certainly recommend opting to get married in the registry office garden. If you have a few more guests or want a really pretty outdoor setting and are prepared to make a few more arrangements, the Botanical Gardens is a lovely setting and they do have some covered areas where you can conduct the ceremony if it is wet. If you are having a big wedding and want a venue where you can have your ceremony and a reception then the Mons Calpe suite on top of the rock looks like it would be a great spot.

Happy wedding planning for anyone thinking of picking Gibraltar for their wedding!

Sarah

Treasure Coast of...
Destination Expert
for Ronda
Level Contributor
11,467 posts
40 reviews
1. Re: A Gibraltar wedding experience

Thats great, congrets, lots of people get married in Gibraltar, been there a few times and love it there. So happy things went so well. Hubie

Westside
Level Contributor
1,858 posts
165 reviews
2. Re: A Gibraltar wedding experience

Thanks for the lovely review. It will be really helpful for others who are planning a wedding.

I hope that you have a long and happy marriage. I married in the Gibraltar registry office 22 years ago this month, I hope that you share as much love as we have :)

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Gibraltar
Level Contributor
2,397 posts
78 reviews
3. Re: A Gibraltar wedding experience

That was great reading, thanks for sharing your experience;)

I'm glad your big day was everything you hoped for. Congratulations!

London, United...
1 post
4. Re: A Gibraltar wedding experience

Great news that you had such a great experience getting married in Gibraltar. I myself got married in Gib, and I'm not from there, so I thought it would be useful to provide a few suggestions for people who are not sure of what to do about flowers, cake etc.

We got our flowers from <a href="http://www.gibral-flora.gi/weddings.asp">Gibralflora</a>. They have a strange name, but the flowers w beautiful and reaosnably priced. For photography, we were recommended <a href="http://www.gibraltarweddingphotography.com/">Gibraltar Wedding Photos</a>. The photos are great (though I suppose I would say that!). We had a cake from a company called <a href="http://www.rock-cakes.com/">Rock Cakes</a>. The cake was better than we expected, because Spanish cakes can be all sponge and cream, but or cake was delicious.

We stayed at the Rock Hotel, which is a bit of an institution (John Lennon got married there) and had beautiful views out across the bay and across to Morrocco.

Of course I can only recommend what went well for me on my Gibraltar wedding, but I hope this has helped anybody else out there considering a wedding in Gibraltar. I wholehertedly reccommend it!

Sarah D.

Gloucester
Level Contributor
577 posts
410 reviews
5. Re: A Gibraltar wedding experience

Congratulations and thanks for all the useful info which I am sure others will find useful. Particularly agree with your comment that there was plenty to do/see on Gibraltar without having to venture out on day trips to Spain and Tangier. Too many people rush around the rock in half a day and think they have seen it all when there are many hidden treasures and you need to spend some time on the rock to appreciate the friendly people, laid back lifestyle, culture etc.

London
Level Contributor
5 posts
15 reviews
6. Re: A Gibraltar wedding experience

Thanks for posting this great review on Gibraltar! My friend is a wedding planner there, and helps couples from abroad organise their perfect Gibraltar wedding. And everyone, just everyone, has only wonderful things to say about their experience there! Congratulations!

7. Re: A Gibraltar wedding experience

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 29 December 2010, 19:35
North Charleston...
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
8. Re: A Gibraltar wedding experience

Hi. I was wondering if I would be able to change my name as part of the Gibraltar registry wedding, or if I had to do so on my own through the court system when I returned home.

Thanks for your response.

Tara

Westside
Level Contributor
1,858 posts
165 reviews
9. Re: A Gibraltar wedding experience

Do you mean is your marriage certificate a legal document? Yes it is. It is all in English so it is clear that you got legally married.

North Charleston...
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
10. Re: A Gibraltar wedding experience

Thanks for your reply. I was more or less wondering if there is a provision in the marriage paperwork that states I want to change my name (there was a section I had to complete stating such) so all I would have to do is apply for my new IDs, or if I had to get a court order to change my name (initiated on my own).

Get answers to your questions about Gibraltar
Recent Conversations