We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather this week :-(

Washington...
Level Contributor
70 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Weather this week :-(

We will be in Barcelona May 16-May 20. The weather forecast looks miserable. We're pretty bummed. Meanwhile it will be beautiful at home. Irony. Anyway, I was hoping for lots of outdoor activity including beaches and/or pools. But the 16th is supposed to be 58 F and 40% rain. AGH!

My questions for those who are there:

1. does it rain all day or is it off and on?

2. How cold is it? Are people walking around in coats? I had so many cute sundresses. I wonder if I can just slap a jean jacket or sweater shrug over them or will I be too cold. I know what 61-62 feels like but it can feel different in different places.

3. Are ladies wearing boots? At home when it's 58-63 I wear boots. I prepared to wear sandals but now I'm not sure what footwear to bring AND be comfortable. What are ladies wearing this time of year with this weather?

4. Also, what are some good activities for indoors? Specific places.

We planned on really just seeing the sights and doing Montserrat and lounging around the hotel pool and beach. Yes, we can still do those things (minus the pool and beach) but it will be cold and wet and make for not so lovely pictures. :-(

Edited: 14 May 2013, 04:59
Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather this week :-(

Hello, ML0927,

You can check our answer to the kind of rain in this other post: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187497-i44-k64982…

Regarding the weather feeling, I am sure you will see a lot of people wearing shrots and sandals, but they will be mostly tourist. It is logical: they usually live in some cold part of Germany, England, ... and Barcelona means sun and good weather. I would suggest some spring clothes. Some long sleeve, but light. And/or some short sleeve, but with a light jacket. Defenitely no boots. Maybe some close shoes, for the rain, but with boots you may be too hot.

Take into account that if the sun comes out it will be nice to wear short sleeve. But at night it may be colder.

Regarding indoor activities, there are some buildings that deserve to be seen by the inside. La Sagrada Familia is one of them, for sure. Also La Pedrera and Casa Batlló deserve some time inside. You can also spend some time at La Boquería market (take care of pickpockets there). If you like museums, Barcelona has a lot to offer too: the MNAC (Catalonia Museum of National Art), Picasso museum, the FC Barcelona museum (if you like soccer and FC Barcelona, of course; otherwise you can pass), ...And also, if you like Dalí, you can do a day trip to Figueres and visit his museum there. I don't know if you go with children; in that case I suppose the museums may be boring for them (I think they would like La Sagrada Familia, the Pedrera, ... depending on their ages).

Enjoy your time in Barcelona!!!

Barcelona Step by Step

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather this week :-(

Re. what are ladies wearing these days... The streets are mix of locals wearing jackets, jeans, scarves and closed shoes or boots and tourists in summer dresses or shorts and flip-flops, and anything in between. Yesterday I saw a few tourists wrapped on their beach towels so apparently it was cool for them too.

Rain here usually is not all-day rain but short spells. But last times weather is crazy so who knows.

Anyway, beach season here starts late June, so the current weather is not extraordinary. Rain is a bummer for visitors, I know, but expecting beach time in May is unrealistic.

There is plenty of possibilties for indoor activities, you already got great advice above.

If you like photography, there are great photo opportunities in the old town when it rains/after raining, with reflections in the wet floors and a softer light...

Bon viatge!

3. Re: Weather this week :-(

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 November 2013, 08:45
4. Re: Weather this week :-(

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 May 2014, 06:19