We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Leaving tomorrow - last-minute help?

Midwest USA
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Topic
Leaving tomorrow - last-minute help?

I am not normally a spontaneous person, but after a couple of days of deliberation we have decided to take a weekend getaway to Barcelona (we are currently in Europe already). We arrive tomorrow (Friday) evening and will leave on Monday evening. Right now I am cramming and trying to make a basic plan, but could use assistance since I know fairly little about Barcelona and usually spend weeks researching and working on a detailed itinerary. We will be staying next to Estacio Sants.

Saturday ("Gaudi Day")

Sagrada Familia

Casa Battlo

La Pedrera

Parc Guell

Magic Fountain show in the evening

Sunday ("Beach Day")

Funicular up Montjuic, or walk from Placa d'Espanya (?)

(Recommendations for what to do on Montjuic? Not planning to do museums, more walking in the gardens/enjoying the views for a while)

Teleferic cable car down to Sant Sebastia

Barceloneta beach (I assume there are changing facilities/lockers?)

Bogatell beach (?) - would like to go here as it's more relaxed; is it close enough to walk from Barceloneta or should we hop on the metro to go between the two?

Museu Picasso in the evening - free after 3 pm, closes 8pm

(or . . . are we better off flipping our itinerary - doing beaches first, then taking the Teleferic up to Montjuic later in the day?)

Monday ("Central Barcelona Day")

will store luggage at hotel for pick-up later in day

Arc de Triomf/Parc de la Ciutadella (is it worth it to see Arc de Triomf?)

Chocolate Museum (opens at 10)

Catedral

see a bit of Barri Gotic

La Rambla

Placa de Catalunya

back to hotel, train to airport (flight doesn't leave until after 9 pm)

Please let me know if this rough plan seems totally unreasonable. Too much? Not enough? Poorly organized? Suggestions are welcome. I have a lot more researching and tweaking to do, I know, but wanted to put this out there for any advice.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
3,554 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Leaving tomorrow - last-minute help?

it is very personal*,

I don't see it overloaded (well, it depends if you want to visit Gaudi places inside ?) ( you cannot see everything ...)

Perhaps you cd leave beach day for Monday , less crowds

I do not know about lockers , but yes about thieves (I think Doffcocker once gave link with description of the beaches , may be somewhere at http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/)

include Picasso M on 'Central D'.,-> Sunday) ?

*for me Arc dT and Parc Ciutadella are not 1st things to see if you have limited time , nor Las Ramblas (may be La Boqueria market )

I'd think of the church of Santa Maria del Mar (El Born) , Sant Pau del Camp (in ElRaval)? Roman remains?

a

Edited: 24 June 2010, 16:22
Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,817 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Leaving tomorrow - last-minute help?

Hi A,

I've posted these in the past

barcelonaturisme.com/wwwfiles/bcnweb/portada…

barcelona.com/barcelona_city_guide/barcelona…

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
2,640 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Leaving tomorrow - last-minute help?

looks feasible but as said above better leave the beach for monday (when most of us locals will be working and not at the beach). never seen lockers at any beach. do not leave anything unattended. yes you can walk from barceloneta to bogatell it is a ncie walk

i too as well will suggest doing 'central barcelona' on sunday as you're going to picasso museum. do not miss santa maria del mar church.

the arc de trionf id' say is worth seeing. the city centre is very compact from chocolate museum to arc de triomf is less than a 10 minutes walk.

Midwest USA
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Leaving tomorrow - last-minute help?

Thanks for the response.

I think I will try to add Santa Maria del Mar. We may cut out Parc Ciutadella; that may be a spur-of-the-moment decision based on what we feel like that morning. I will make a note of La Boqueria and make sure we see that area. Maybe we'll just do La Rambla from Placa de la Boqueria to Placa de Catalunya (about how long should we expect to spend strolling this area?). Is there anything much we'll be missing if we skip Rambla dels Caputxins & Rambla de Santa Monica?

It would be nice to go to the beach on Monday to avoid crowds, but since we're leaving that night and will already be checked out of our hotel room, I thought it might not be a good day for dealing with wet swimsuits, needing a shower, etc. I was trying to stick the Picasso Museum in on Sunday night because it's supposed to be free from 3 pm onwards on Sunday. We're not big Picasso fans, but it would be nice to stop in for an hour or so for free.

I'm wondering if it's not a good idea to see Montjuic and do the beach on the same day. Hmm. Do you think the Gaudi sights I had planned for Saturday will fill up the day, or should something else be added there?

Of course, we can and will adjust our itinerary as we go if things take more/less time than expected or depending on what we feel like that day.

Midwest USA
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Leaving tomorrow - last-minute help?

Hmm. I will have to think about the feasability of doing the beach on Monday when we won't have a hotel room to go back to. I may check and see if the hotel has some type of facilities we'd be able to use to shower and freshen up before our flight.

The weather forecast is looking pretty good for all three days, right? I don't want to spend sunny, warm days in the city and then go to the beach on the rainy day - haha! :)

I wish it was easier for me to tell how far apart sites are and how long it takes to walk from A to B. I tend to be bad at estimating that. Glad to hear it's an easy walk to a less crowded beach!

North Yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,007 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Leaving tomorrow - last-minute help?

What to do on Montjuic:

We walked from Placa Universitat to Parallel and took the funicular up. From there, we turned left and walked along to the Olympic Stadium. This was a gentle pleasurable walk with opening views of the city.

The Olympic Stadium is well worth a walk round, free entry. From there, we headed on up behind the Olympic Stadium towards the botanical gardens. If they are your thing, they look well worth a visit.

On up from there, and it is a gentle easy walk uphill up to the castle at Montjuic. There are lots of very good signposts helping you along the way. The views get better and better the further you go, and we only saw about 3 people the whole time from the Olympic Stadium to the castle (about half an hour's walk). Lovely and peaceful. I would say it is definitely worth walking up instead of taking the cable car.

When you get up to the castle, go inside. It is free and gives you amazing 360 degree views of the city, coast and docks. This was an absolute highlight of our trip and not to be missed.

Once you've done the castle, walk back down through the gardens and waterfalls, following the line of the cable car. This will eventually bring you to the cable car station to go over to the port area. We didn't fancy it (neither of us like heights or enclosed spaces!) but it would certainly save your feet.

We walked quite a long way down to the port area and along the promenade to Barceloneta. Beautiful! Barceloneta beach was busy and quite narrow, but we only dipped our toes in the sea and had a beer before moving on. But that's another story...

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
3,554 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Leaving tomorrow - last-minute help?

I think that swimming in B, is nothing special, but if you fancy that, it is easier when you can go to the hotel (however, there are showers in the beaches)

It's difficult to say when to go, (I get tired in the heat ), the weather may change ...

I think it is good idea to have a loose plan with priorities and 2nd importance points which you cd skip , if you run short of time (or encounter queues etc)

Re: distances - the option/facility of 'How to get to' in google maps may be helpful , as well as pedestrian mode of www.mappy.com or www.viaMichelin.com

A :)

Edited: 24 June 2010, 20:41
Midwest USA
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Leaving tomorrow - last-minute help?

Okay, I've been working on it more and this is what I have now:

SATURDAY

metro to Sagrada Familia

metro to Casa Batllo

walk to La Pedrera

bus 24 to Parc Guell

metro back to hotel

walk to Magic Fountain show in evening

SUNDAY

walk to Placa d'Espanya

bus PM up Montjuic; see Olympic Stadium and Castle (thanks, WACT)

funicular down to Paral.lel, then metro to Arc de Triomf

walking to/between the following in the afternoon/evening

Arc de Triomf

Parc de la Ciutadella (depending on time, etc.)

Museu de la Xocolata (closes at 3 pm)

Museu Picasso (free starting at 3 pm)

Santa Maria del Mar (reopens 4:30-8ish?)

Catedral (reopens 5-7:30ish?)

see Roman walls, wander around Barri Gotic area, dinner

metro back to hotel

MONDAY

metro to Placa de Catalunya

walk down La Rambla (with stop at La Boqueria), all the way to Monument a Colom

walk to Barceloneta beach

make way further down to Bogatell beach

metro from Llacuna station back to hotel to shower/change/collect luggage

train to airport for 9 pm flight

(Of course, this will be kept flexible for last-minute adjustments as needed - just trying to make a plan that takes all my research in to consideration. Someone did mention in a review of our hotel that they were allowed to shower/change in the hotel spa before leaving, so we'll ask about that at check-in before deciding which day to do the beaches.)

Edited: 24 June 2010, 20:58
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
63 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Leaving tomorrow - last-minute help?

Please report back when you get a chance ... I am going to BCN in 2 wks, and would love to hear how your whirlwind turned out!! (especially the walking distances!!)

Midwest USA
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Leaving tomorrow - last-minute help?

We had a great 3 day trip! The only changes we really made to what I posted just above were to switch Saturday and Monday. We were at the beach all day Saturday (rented an umbrella and two lounge chairs @ Barceloneta beach - totally worth it for €17 for the whole day), followed by a stroll on La Ramble and an evening visit to the Magic Fountain. Then we did the Gaudi sights on Monday.

It was HOT, though. I was pretty whiny while walking around Montjuic, what with the heat and all. There was a lot more walking there than I expected. If I had it to do over, I'd probably skip the botanical gardens, but would definitely recommend the Castle for the nice views...it's a steep walk up to the Castle, though, so you might want to take the funicular up. The walk back down Montjuic was a lot easier, needless to say. We didn't end up taking Bus PM to Montjuic...just took the main funicular up from the Paral.lel metro station.

The walk all the way up and down La Rambla is an easy walk. La Boqueria is awesome. All of the fruit vendors sell fruit cups and pineapple and watermelon boats for €1, and they come with little forks to eat them with. It makes a great cheap snack and is just fun to look around.

Everything in the city center was pretty close and an easy, flat walk. No problem walking from the Arc to the museums, churches, and Barri Gotic.

The walk from Casa Battlo to La Pedrera is an easy walk, just a few blocks and flat. My husband did not think Casa Battlo was worth the admission price (it was steep - almost €18 apiece), but I thought it was worth seeing. We caught bus 24 just a little ways down the street from La Pedrera and took it to Parc Guell; this worked out well. There was a digital display showing what stop was coming up next, and Parc Guell was clearly announced. It was great entering at the side entrance, then turning right and heading up, then walking all along the top of the park to the cross thing (I'm sure it has a name but I don't know it - the best views we found in Barcelona - 360 degree panoramic), then back down again and to the main entrance. It was quite a hike from the park to the Lesseps metro station when we left, but it was all downhill or flat so not bad. I'm glad we didn't walk uphill from the metro station (though I hear there are escalators if you know where to look, although they're not on the marked route to the park.)

Overall, our itinerary worked out well for us. Of course, there were a few wrong turns and glitches that resulted in unnecessary walking. :) I didn't find there to be many signs directing you to nearby sights, so get a good map. There were times we got out of the metro at noon and weren't sure which way was north or which direction we should go. :)

The metro is SO nice - very clean, very spacious, distinctly better than London or Paris. And it's cheap with a T10. We used a total of 3 T10s while we were there. I was still tired at the end of the day, but my legs and feet weren't killing me like they were when we walked all over Paris. :)

Oh, and I wouldn't recommend walking from Bogatell beach to the Llacuna station - a lot of confused walking here, and some of it was in a not-very-nice-looking area. It is very nice to stroll down the boardwalk along the beaches, though, or there are bikes that you can rent.

Have fun in Barcelona!!