We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

León newspapers or magazines

Murcia, Spain
Level Contributor
21 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
León newspapers or magazines

Hi guys,

Does anyone know of any touristy newspapers or magazines from León, preferably in English?

Thanks

Amanda

Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
69,881 posts
3,785 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: León newspapers or magazines

Amanda:

Leon is a small city that does not get much foreign tourism. So I doubt that there are any newspapers and magazines there that are in English.

Murcia, Spain
Level Contributor
21 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: León newspapers or magazines

I know Leon very very well as it the family home of my husband: mother-in-law, aunts, uncles, cousins etc. We spend every Christmas, Easter and several week in the Summer in Leon. In fact my mother-in-law lives 5 minutes walk from the cathedral.

I would have to disagree with you regarding foreign tourism in the city. According to Guillermo Garcia, mayor of Leon, in 2015 there was a record breaking 140,000 foreign visitors to the city. Many of the tourists come because of the Camino de Santiago, plus the many outstanding buildings of architectural and historical import. The city's general population is around 128,000 people divided between the walled "old Town" and the new town as it were.

I have often picked up the local free paper but couldn't remember seeing anything in English. There are signs in shops everywhere in English and many shops advertise English books. It may be "small" but it is incredibly busy. I will be back in my second home tomorrow and shall make sure I pay a bit more attention to any publications I might see.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
8,613 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: León newspapers or magazines

Amanda,

as yours numbers show in your reply Leon is a small city and its visitors number is low too.

local magazins and newspapers in foreign languages are published for big foreign communities living in a place or in places with high tourists numbers.

Moreover, in Leon just a minor part of those visiting or passing by the city are English speakers so the potential customer number for a publication in English is really small.

Murcia, Spain
Level Contributor
21 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: León newspapers or magazines

Hmm, ok. Well perhaps lol. The area I currently live in is tiny in comparison but does have a small number of urbs so as you can imagine we have more English language newspapers and magazines than I know what to do with. As a past editor and design department head for a newspaper and 2 magazines (here in Spain), maybe I should look into the possibility of something in English in Leon. Will have to do a bit of a survey first especially as most Non-UK foreign visitors tend to speak and read English.

5. Re: León newspapers or magazines

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2017, 16:18