We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Madrid to Leon

Grafton, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
16 reviews
Save Topic
Train from Madrid to Leon

Can anyone tell me how to book train tickets to Leon on line have been to the Renfe website but at some stage it starts to give info in Spanish and I have no Idea what I booking , any help.

Mentioned in this post
Leon
Leon
Province of Leon, Spain
Santa Cruz...
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Madrid to Leon

I ran into something similar in trying to use Renfe online for Leon to Madrid. What was explained to me by a relative in Spain, is that there's a train transfer involved. The direct line is between Leon and Chamartin station in Madrid There's a free transfer included between Chamartin and Atocha station in the heart of Madrid but it's another train.

Google translate gives me this:

For the requested path there is no direct connection or this train does not run on the date requested , then we provide other search options .

Edited: 10 August 2015, 00:58
Mentioned in this post
RENFE
RENFE
333 Reviews
Algeciras, Spain
Leon
Leon
Province of Leon, Spain
Madrid
Madrid
Community of Madrid, Spain
Spain
Spain
Europe
Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
67,939 posts
3,765 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Madrid to Leon

Ann:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187514-c80518/Madrid…

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
22,939 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Madrid to Leon

If you find dealing with RENFE booking insurmountable then try https://loco2.com/ and pay in UK pounds converted from the Euro fare. That is a web site managed in England.

If you wish to persevere with RENFE and need more guidance about the different fares etc then this is easy to follow

seat61.com/…How_to_use_www.renfe.com

Regarding comment in answer 1 above. There are trains which end in Leon from both Atocha and Chamartin stations. For example the 11.05 from Chamartin station in north Madrid also stops at Atocha station around 10.20

However most trains run from Chamartin.

Mentioned in this post
England
England
United Kingdom
Leon
Leon
Province of Leon, Spain
Madrid
Madrid
Community of Madrid, Spain
Sarajevo, Bosnia...
Level Contributor
19 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from Madrid to Leon

Does anyone know if there is a left luggage office or lockers available at the train station in Leon?

Mentioned in this post
Leon
Leon
Province of Leon, Spain
Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
67,939 posts
3,765 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from Madrid to Leon

There is no left luggage lockers at the train station in Leon.

Mentioned in this post
Leon
Leon
Province of Leon, Spain
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
22,939 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from Madrid to Leon

Near the train station is the main bus station and it may have lockers but have never visited. Looking at an old picture of the interior hall you can see lockers.

www.minube.com/fotos/rincon/48016/304368

Sarajevo, Bosnia...
Level Contributor
19 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train from Madrid to Leon

Thank you for the prompt replies. I wonder how old that picture is. It looks like those lockers would fit a standard carry-on bag, but not much more. The likelihood of having three or four available at once is also pretty low (at least, in my mind). If worse comes to worst, I guess we can lug them around with us for 6 hours, but it sure does make things massively inconvenient. Do any experienced travelers have some ideas on what to do? (Not having the bags with us is not an option at this point, sadly. Like I said, Leon is just a stop-over, but we wanted to make it useful and see the cathedral, have lunch, and walk around a little. It's all made more complicated by having little kids with us.)

Mentioned in this post
Leon
Leon
Province of Leon, Spain
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
22,939 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train from Madrid to Leon

You can phone the bus station and ask directly ? 00 34 987 211 000

or email tourist office and see if they can help

turismo@aytoleon.es

If the lockers are still available I find that they are seldom used at this kind of place so you should find more than one. If that fails then presumably at some time you may like to sit down for something to eat so ask a suitable cafe owner if he can store until you return? I have done that one some occasions. Of course a risk so no valuables left inside but has worked well for me but need to pick the right cafe.

Edited: 11 November 2015, 08:39
Sarajevo, Bosnia...
Level Contributor
19 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train from Madrid to Leon

Thank you again for your help! I've e-mailed. I'll let you know if they send anything back.

Sarajevo, Bosnia...
Level Contributor
19 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train from Madrid to Leon

So, here is the reply I got from David with Turismo de Leon:

"You can find lockers in bus station, there you can keep your luggage. The bus station is beside train station, anyway you will find the bus station easy."

So, the e-mail you provided is live and helpful. We'll plan on the bus station thing and see how that works out.

Mentioned in this post
Leon
Leon
Province of Leon, Spain