We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best resort

Which Tenerife hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
321 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Best resort

My husband & I are hoping to book a break in March. We dont like large resorts with the usual tourist trappings. Can anyone recommend somewhere that still retains some Spanish charm? I also like the beach so would like to know the resorts that have the imported sand ( I am not really keen on the idea of the black sand!!) Many thanks

Puerto de la Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Tenerife
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best resort

Imported sand usually goes hand in hand with being a main tourist resort so that might cut down your options. Playa las Teresitas is the exception but it's quite a distance from Santa Cruz, Tenerife's capital and the closest location with a choice of hotels.

One place that might tick all the boxes is El Médano - it's Canarian in character with a good choice of restaurants and some fab long pale, golden sand beaches.

The only potential down side is that it's breezy - perfect for windsurfers and kite-boarders but it can put some people off.

Edited: 12 February 2012, 12:56
Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto de la Cruz, Weston-super-Mare, Tenerife
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best resort

Hi, our favorite resort is Puerto de la Cruz, although it does have black sand beaches, it does perhaps have everything else you require from your holiday. We have got used to black sand beaches, as did our young children at the time. It is just as soft to lie on, although there are sun beds on all but the smallest beach. There is an award winning sea water lido complex on the sea front if you want to avoid the beach.

Puerto is a lovely traditional town and resort dating back to the 1600s, it has a good range of local shops, bars and restaurants, as well as shady squares to sit and watch the world go by.

Puerto is liked by both local people, the Spanish from the Mainland, and many visitors from Europe and wider.

Staffordshire...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
14,360 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best resort

My favourite place is Del Duque. Classy, nice beach and quiet yet close enough to walk into PLDA.

Tenerife, Spain
Level Contributor
16,211 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best resort

My money is on Los Cristianos, it has two beaches - Las Vistas is lovely golden sand and the town beach is golden(ish). The town has a little bit of everything. On the seafront there are the tourist restaurants and entertainment bars. In town there are the the places frequented by the locals because although it is a resort it is also a typical traditional Spanish town. You also have the harbour and Church Plaza where most weeks you will find something going on. Thursdays is Canarian Folk Fest night webtenerifeuk.co.uk/Agenda/arofolkfest.htm…

You will find in March that the tourists that are here are more mature - we call them 'swallows' escaping the cold winters of northern Europe.

However is it the BEST resort? Like all of the answers you will receive they are based on personal preferences and we all differ in what we like.

http://redqueenmusings.wordpress.com

London, United...
Level Contributor
321 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best resort

Thank you all so much for your speedy replies. We have now got lots to think about.

Best wishes from an english swallow!

6. Re: Best resort

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 June 2013, 20:22