We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Climbing teide with bags

Singapore
Level Contributor
6 posts
11 reviews
Climbing teide with bags

My wife and I are going to climb teide and we have to check out of our accommodation on the day. We may need to climb with our full big backpacks which are about twelve kg each since we are not driving.

How difficult is the climb from the bus stop to the refuge and then to the peak in relation to climbing up to Roque nublo or hiking around bandama in Gran Canaria?

Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto de la Cruz, Weston-super-Mare, Tenerife
Level Contributor
4,159 posts
183 reviews
1. Re: Climbing teide with bags

Hi, Mt Teide in Tenerife is the highest mountain in Spain and the third highest volcano in the world. During the winter months there will be snow on the peak. It is a steep climb in parts. I suggest you leave your bags at your hotel. You will need a permit, applied for in advance for the top 200 meters, there is a cable car to this point.

It is a great experience, why not do it during your holiday, rather than on the last day.

Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
9,915 posts
87 reviews
2. Re: Climbing teide with bags

Many hotels around the world let you leave luggage in their locked luggage store on your last day, so you don't have to lug it with you all day. Have you asked your accommodation if they can store it for you?

Tenerife, Spain
Destination Expert
for Tenerife, Los Cristianos
Level Contributor
1,162 posts
39 reviews
3. Re: Climbing teide with bags

Having walked all three hikes mentioned by the OP, I can state that there is no comparison between the Teide hike and the two on Gran Canaria. The hike to the summit of Teide from the bus stop at Montana Blanca takes between 4 and 5 hours and becomes progressively harder as you climb because of the altitude. Add in a 12 kilo rucksack, which is fairly heavy even when backpacking at normal altitudes, and this makes it a much harder prospect. Unless you are a hiker used to carrying these sorts of weights at altitude, I would seriously reconsider your plans.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
295 posts
24 reviews
4. Re: Climbing teide with bags

If you stay at the Refugee and you will leave before sunrise you don't need the permit. But as said the first two hours of Montana Blanca are relatively easy through a wide landscape. After that the real climb begins to the Refugio, which is more like a wall through the lava stones, it's a zigzag path otherwise it would be vertical. So any less luggage you can take the better.

Singapore
Level Contributor
6 posts
11 reviews
5. Re: Climbing teide with bags

Thanks for all the advice.

I've contacted my airbnb host for the day before who has very kindly offered to let us keep our extra bags with her and we will return to collect from her place at Puerto de la Cruz before heading south nearer to the airport where our return flight is.

Possibly we may try to hitch a ride back as the daily bus north is a little late for us.

Level Contributor
66 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: Climbing teide with bags

TenerifeRambler's response was very nice :D

You are comparing Roque Nublo which I ran onto in 30 minutes to 5 hour exhausting hike. Also you need a special permission to reach the summit.

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
359 posts
7. Re: Climbing teide with bags

If yyou stay at the refuge and are back off the top by 9 AM you do not need a permit

8. Re: Climbing teide with bags

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 November 2018, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Tenerife